New Invasion Server?

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

-Muffin-

New Invasion Server?

Post by -Muffin- » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:57 pm

K, so I'm not an expert on perma mechanics, but hear me out.

It seems that Rag has turned into mostly a building server, probably because there's no shields anymore. And I think I'm speaking for most when I say that a building server is no server at all. And it would be a shame to see Rag's activity die because you're not only limited by warp fuel, but by the availability of shields as well.

And once all but Rag, GA, Boundless, and P1 are gone, I think we could have room for 1 more server.

So... How about a server designed specifically for vading?
Tons of ports. Tons of negs. Cheap solars(25 or 50 iron). No mods (quicker building). Lots of shields. Random layouts. Small hop distances. 6 corp size. No asteroids.

So basically, there'd be a ton of 10/100s, and lots of shields and negs to keep trying to cap these hard as sh1t mofos. You could just invade all day! Maybe even bring back 10/120s.

I personally would love a small server size for this, like P6 (to force people upon each other), but I'm worried that without the hope of having 6mil followers one day, people might not want to play it. Thoughts, please.

Basically, all these aspects are designed to allow players to be able to easily build an empire, and for people to easily be able to invade such an empire. The building would have to be pretty easy (hence the 500 holds), so that builders aren't deterred by the constant vading. And the ability to build b1tchin solars should help as well.

I'd appreciate other's thoughts on this. Too many servers just turn into building servers. I'd like that to change, but I'd like the opinions of you veteran perma'ers.

Love,
Muffin

P.S. I didn't create a poll because I'd like to know what the community wants before writing up a final draft and submitting it to a yes or no.

godman

Re: New Invasion Server?

Post by godman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:08 am

Similar to my server idea here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21627

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:49 am

But why would you want less ports? That literally just means slower building, and slower invading, and less playing cause your warp fuel goes boom!

Zangetsu

Post by Zangetsu » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Toonces DO this :D Rag is a joke of a server due to 4 rs's per port and its at 0% o.o

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Lol... I remember zangetsu talking about how he loved rag shields because it required strategy ...typical

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 pm

i love how you all isolate rag as a builder server, i invade every day on it. if you think it's a building server maybe you should stop building and start invading. i don't understand why all the top corps have to be allied, they could constantly trade planets if they're both good corps, they could be friends that just trade planets via invade to keep in good shape. but it's the players who let the servers go stagnant, maybe if you weren't bored so god damn easily you'd stick around and keep a server you play on alive instead of conceding it to not enough players then retreating to whatever fortress you consider your home server.

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 am

uhh... isnt it pretty straight-forward? The shields are a I love you man! on rag, therefore it's more of a builder server than any other server, am i right?

And Golden Age btw. Just go there.

duece

Post by duece » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:34 am

Manilla wrote:i love how you all isolate rag as a builder server, i invade every day on it. if you think it's a building server maybe you should stop building and start invading. i don't understand why all the top corps have to be allied, they could constantly trade planets if they're both good corps, they could be friends that just trade planets via invade to keep in good shape. but it's the players who let the servers go stagnant, maybe if you weren't bored so god damn easily you'd stick around and keep a server you play on alive instead of conceding it to not enough players then retreating to whatever fortress you consider your home server.
Because invasion on rag requires you to spend 5 times the amount of time looking for ports or collecting cash. That is boring.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 am

this