Penalize close losses less and bad losses more on Blitz

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

duece

Penalize close losses less and bad losses more on Blitz

Post by duece » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:30 am

If a team battles hard to the end but still loses, the points lost should be less than normal and if a team lays down and quits (or just gets crushed) the loss should count slightly more. I think a reduction of as much as 50% (for a virtual tie) and an increase of up to 25% for a domination. (eg. only losing 5 points for a very close game)

Why? There are too I love you man! players on blitz who rage quit early on, maybe giving people incentive to fight as hard as they can for the whole 20 minutes will improve the quality of blitz games.

I can see the downside of reducing the importance of difficult games, but I think it's worth it.

HUSKER

Re: Penalize close losses less and bad losses more on Blitz

Post by HUSKER » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:51 pm

It's a good concept but you forget that fact that if i ends up being a 1v4 or something because your whole team specced you are going to lose A LOT of points. The rating change can't only be based on the score of the game. Right now it is entirely based on the "total minutes played" by either team. That's why if you spectate early and the rest of your team stays in your lose far fewer points than them. Also, if your whole team specs early and you don't, you will lose fewer and fewer points the longer you stay in. That's how he tries to make the scoring from uneven teams fair"ish." If I'm not mistaken, in order to change it to what you're proposing it would take a whole lot of work to COMPLETELY overhaul the rating system for reasons that aren't entirely that important. Therefore, although it would be cool, probably not going to happen. In a perfect world, the rating change of the game would reflect not only minutes played, but score, and also number of players/number of players specced out on either team.

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:29 am

It would also mean lots of games where the losing team fucks around doing nothing in order to lose less points, and means less fun on blitz in general.

duece

Post by duece » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:26 pm

-Muffin- wrote:It would also mean lots of games where the losing team fucks around doing nothing in order to lose less points, and means less fun on blitz in general.
But then in those same games, the winning team would still be fighting to increase their lead to get more points. Well that's the idea at least.

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Oooooh! Now I see! So people will fight til the last second. That's genius!