Scorched Earth / Colony Death

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Jain

Scorched Earth / Colony Death

Post by Jain » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Coming to some conclusions over last few years , being in many large and small wars , its always made me wonder why there is no ability to scorch earth tactics on planets , in a sense , destroying the colony and preventing it to aid your enemies, now before rules and reasons why the should be bought in , a little history lesson on scorch earth tactics.

"A scorched earth policy is a military strategy which involves destroying anything that might be useful to the enemy while advancing through or withdrawing from an area. It is a military strategy where all of the assets that are used or can be used by the enemy are targeted, such as food sources, transportation, communications, industrial resources, and even the people in the area"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth

Scorched earth tactics and a legitimate way of combat.

Now what rules and effects would sorch earth do?
Well scorched earth will outright destroy a colony , killing its population and destroying all buildings and planet defenses.

How would it be carried out?
The owner of the colony would do it from the colony management screen , doing so would bring up a prompt box to make sure your choosing the right decision , to prevent miscliking too.

Rules

1. Only the Owner of the colony can destroy it.
2. This move can only be done once every 12 hours
3. The player will receive a large negative impact of reputation; -50 reputation per person on colony.
4. The planet will leave a bio dome corpse behind for 5 days
5. The colony will take 15 minutes to destroy , at anytime during this period you can cancel the colony death
6. An announcement within the news , announcing the death of the colony , without coordinates of course
7. If you stay within the colony after 15 minutes is up , your ship is destroyed in the process , negating the the minus negative effect , for the idea of " A captain goes down with his ship" is used, however exp loss is normal , but it denies your enemy the colony and the kill.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Jain out.

HUSKER

Re: Scorched Earth / Colony Death

Post by HUSKER » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:59 am

I like this idea a lot. However I think 15 minutes is a little harsh because you can just jett all the colonists and defenses in less than 15 minutes yourself thus rendering the colony useless anyways. Maybe like 5 minutes would be better.

Jain

Post by Jain » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 am

Its for when your being invaded right at that moment or if you need to get somewhere else quick , it saves time on jetting all the items.

Havok

Post by Havok » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 am

It's been ages since I played, so I don't know how it is now, but when I first started playing, you could do a sort of scorched earth policy. When you first capped a colony, you could sell all of the buildings if you wanted, and take the money. Later it was changed so that you could only sell one building, then you had to wait 4 hours before you could sell another.