Hostile Conditions Bonus

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

duece

Hostile Conditions Bonus

Post by duece » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:39 am

Colonies with the lowest reproduction rates should have a smaller requirement for military size. The explanation could be that since the colonists have to survive on those planets, it results in them being better fighters. I think it's important for the balance of planet types, that lower population colonies can also sustain more powerful militaries.

Specifically, the types that should get this bonus are Volcanics, Deserts, and Greenhouses, and it should be so that these cols only require 3750 colonists in their militaries (about equivalent to military tradition 1).

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Re: Hostile Conditions Bonus

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:11 pm

so what you're saying is... there should be a spice requirement per solar shot?

:D

in all seriousness, good idea

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm

If your goal is just to make these types of worlds "a little better", it would be better to change an existing rule or setting rather than making up a new one of a military multiplier.

duece

Post by duece » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Toonces wrote:If your goal is just to make these types of worlds "a little better", it would be better to change an existing rule or setting rather than making up a new one of a military multiplier.
I thought this way might be nice because it would help the balance without making all the planets too similar, but I'm fine with either approach. I've been building a lot lately, so I've been thinking about ways these planet types could be more useful while having a niche. Maybe instead of a multiplier, one way to implement this would be to spot these planets military tradition 1 for free (and allow the max to reach level 6), but I don't know if that would be more difficult to implement.

But yeah, if you just boosted the harvesting rates on these planets by 25-35%, it would free up the same amount of workforce for the military and do the same thing.