yes
35%
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
65%

Total votes: 26

Apollo

New Update

Post by Apollo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:31 am

ok seriously, the new update thing is cool and all about npcs attacking lazers except for one thing, damage....i think the npcs should be able to be hit by the lazers, even if it is half damage, im not sayign award teh ownero f lazers with any exp or rep or whatever the hell is awarded when the npc dies to it (if it dies, of course) but i mean come on, i understand lazer walls r a problem, but alot of ppl go around the whole day destroying them, now we have indestructable npcs after them? atleats give them a chance, i logged on today afte rmy vacation and all 12-15 of my lazer systems r gone, completely, and i dont think its THAT fair to have it so the npcs r indestructable on them, discuss!

Roe

Post by Roe » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:14 am

I agree with you, if npcs can destroy lasers, then they should be able to take damage from them.

Wind

Post by Wind » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:18 am

they aren't indestructable, and they do take damage. How much, I can't say, but i have seen them take damage from lasers. Also unless you got within a day of the update (atleast for perma 1) all the npcs that took damage from killing walls were already gone, as it only took a tap of your grav on most, plus they were hunted down more so than before since they had xp out he wazoo. But I'm still fairly sure that walls can't deal the final blow to npcs otherwise people would set up laser walls around spawn points and get oodles of xp for little work.

With all the complaining that went on about how walls and grids were ruining the game and were completely unfair to newbies, I would have thought that people would be happy, guess not. I take my hat off to thee, toonces. Keep up the good work, you can't make everyone happy all the time.

Olterin

Post by Olterin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:42 am

Well, seriously, npcs take about 5% damage from walls per *minute*, that's unlikely, do increase that one a bit, they should be able to kill walls, sure, but let them die on walls from time to time too.

Manganator

Post by Manganator » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:05 am

And first a rave...

Im sure that laser walls seem bad to noobs when they're taxiing around for small bucks; but trust me when i say this. Noobs if your taxiing for money, you deserve to be destroyed! Im sorry; but taxiing is such a waste of fuel that a good boom needs to awaken them to the reality. Trade, its much better, you can make 50k a hop, instead of 5!

Then input...

Ok heres the deal everyone. When everyone thinks of laser walls, they think, big bad laser walls! However, with a charecter with 0 dexterity... laser walls are kinda my thing, I need them to survive, or ill just be a pool of blood on Ace's windshield! Laser walls have certain aspects which makes them ethical defence methods, and not noob traps.

#1 Warning beacons- I've warning beaconed around 80% of my walls (dont put beacons in front of walls which are already surrounded by walls, I dont put beacons in front of makeshift walls, when Im using them for a skirmish)

#2 Reperations- If a noob runs into my wall where there isnt a beacon or he was taxiing or something I give him 1 mil. hey what am i doing with the money anyways? but if the same noob comes back again, even from a different laser wall, no such luck :D.

#3 Dont block off a highway for heavans sake! I cant stress this enough, if the system you plan on walling, connects one group of planets you dont own, to another. You probably shouldnt be placing a wall there Just a thought, Whenever I used to wall my systems I'd keep a highway that the auto-pilot route automatically choose when passing through. (This doesnt mean you cant wall off a part of the galaxy you dont own from a part you own (with no unowned areas) Then its fine, its just self defence)

All of you wall abusers, who use walls as small noob traps, should be ashamed of yourselves, you messed it up for us ethical wallers. Now im dead meat in space, even in my own.

Nertanef

Post by Nertanef » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:10 am

Walls are a good way of saying stay out.

We lasered our entire cluster, it put a clear message through, this isn't where you belong. It's also vital to defending your colonies from an easy attack.

Zacko had a simple grid up, it took two of us 5 mins to take it down but still, it's time bought for the enemy.

RedLeader

Post by RedLeader » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:15 am

On P1, we put up a grid around the southern half of the UN space.

Was it friendly to new players? No.
Was it effective for deterring invasion? Yes.

To be honest surviving laserwalls is NOT hard - I navigated four systems in a Merchant CRUISER just before this update. The only thing that automatically kills newbs is the ring, and even then it's still possible to escape - if you're fast.

Crosseyed

Post by Crosseyed » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:36 am

Manganator wrote:#3 Dont block off a highway for heavans sake! I cant stress this enough, if the system you plan on walling, connects one group of planets you dont own, to another. You probably shouldnt be placing a wall there Just a thought, Whenever I used to wall my systems I'd keep a highway that the auto-pilot route automatically choose when passing through. (This doesnt mean you cant wall off a part of the galaxy you dont own from a part you own (with no unowned areas) Then its fine, its just self defence)
Heh, in the good old days, nobody pulled this stunt around me unless they wanted to become a pirate. Maybe space blockades should still affect your rep, hrm?

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:39 am

ah yes that seriously damaged your method of playing? Now you have to engage them in battle. If you need to get into some huge battles on 11th give me a ring. We can make some certain somebodies eviler.

pcman18-destroy

Post by pcman18-destroy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:55 am

Ok I havnt played the latest update, but yes, NPC's should be able to attack laser walls, and before you say crap like I am always agaist space defences (which I am, I admit - It's just wrong!) NPC's should take damage when being hit by space defences (well at least 125 shields per hit, even if it is not the full 250, which it should be)
Last edited by pcman18-destroy on Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gen

Post by Gen » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:32 pm

First, I think that all would agree that NPC's should take full damage just like anyone else and be killed on a wall. Less then that IMO is unfair. Secongly, it would have been nice if there was a general warning that this update would be occurring so that lasers could be retrieved rather than logging in and finding multiple systems gone (Sucks when ur low on lasers to begin with and trying to get a message across - no trespassing). Redleader - Please define what u mean by a ring?

Emokid_07

Post by Emokid_07 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:15 pm

No, i think its gay and stupid..... ok yea...they take damage...but not enough so they wont die when they kill like 2-3 of my lasered systems.....THAT I SPENT MUCH TIME MAKING...........not.....:P.....
Still yes readleaders right unless your a newb you can easily find a way around laser walls by just running through or by outsmarting them and going around....yea...the grid always kills newbs....and its not my fault they decided to go after a igp with a one way enterence that has 5 systems down lasered...and the Grids are good for making invasion harder.........so while i have 5 systems ringed or lasered with grids to deterr invasion, and some npc ******* comes and kills 'em all, just inviting the player to come into my colonys and try to invade them! that screwed up!!!

just my two cents

Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:02 pm

Laser grids and traps were an interesting military strategy, both offensively and defensively. This game will be less interesting without them.

Galahad

Post by Galahad » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:57 am

i see a lot of ppl complaining about the new update. I dont use laserwalls, as i cant afford them, and would rather spend my time doing something else(anything). the biggest complaint seems to be about strategy tho. strategy implies intelligence. use your intelligence to find a new strategy, thats what happens in the real world when changes make an old strategy useless. just my opinion. tho i agree that npc should take full damage from walls.

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:13 am

I think it would be fair for NPCs to totally ignore lasers and lasers to ignore NPCs. Its not fair for the NPCs to be attacked by laser walls. they are stupid, to be honest. MOst people know what to do if a wall blocks your path, but how do you program an AI to know.