Colony Pollution

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

chronas

Colony Pollution

Post by chronas » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:53 pm

There should be a rise in pollution for users that do not login every day. Something like 1 to 5% per day that they don't login. This would help to kill off colonies that users only login once a week or month. There are a lot of colonies that have been deserted for a long time and will probably never die off. This would be a way to speed up their destruction so others can claim them.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Re: Colony Pollution

Post by CrazyChef » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:34 am

chronas wrote:There should be a rise in pollution for users that do not login every day. Something like 1 to 5% per day that they don't login. This would help to kill off colonies that users only login once a week or month. There are a lot of colonies that have been deserted for a long time and will probably never die off. This would be a way to speed up their destruction so others can claim them.
If the planets dont die, just invade it.. probably a nice sustainable col.. y kill it?

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:27 am

that idea might make sense to a paxer, but toonces still hasnt mastered targeted patches. any patch he applies effects all servers equally. this means that a patch to save pax destroys permas, and a patch to save permas destroys rebangs.

so the real suggestion you guys need to get behind and push for is easily targetable patches. each patch should be like a new variable, with each server able to have more or less of that patch's effects.

Raviel-PLAGUE-

Post by Raviel-PLAGUE- » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:01 am

uhm Chronas, NO! there are a lot of reasons but i would waste like 3 pages of a topic with it and people would say i "Spam" so just no.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:05 am

yah that chronas guy never learns. he has been suggesting game destroying ideas for like a year now.

chronas

Post by chronas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:36 pm

My ideas are not game destroying. I give ideas that try to keep the game from being stagnant. If you have a better idea or something worth suggesting then please do it. I can understand players making tangible comments. I cannot understand those that just have a negative attitude and basically spam the topic. You spam when you have nothing to say but NO.

-Renegade-

Post by -Renegade- » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:55 pm

they are game destroying, toonces does an interesting job on his own, dont give him even worse ideas. Peoples colonies are their colonies, and all colonies eventually die if they become inactive, if you are going to complain about stagnation and no open planets, then play rebangs or join a pvp

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:03 pm

every idea i've ever seen you post had to do with punishing people that weren't online 24/7. the game dynamics ALREADY do this too much as is. i've suggested (and had implemented) as many concepts, if not more, than everyone else combined, so don't talk to me like i have nothing to contribute.

Wagon

Post by Wagon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 pm

chronas wrote:There should be a rise in pollution for users that do not login every day. Something like 1 to 5% per day that they don't login. This would help to kill off colonies that users only login once a week or month. There are a lot of colonies that have been deserted for a long time and will probably never die off. This would be a way to speed up their destruction so others can claim them.
can u ban this guy?

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:17 pm

Wagon wrote:
can u ban this guy?
I believe i have to say something :) In pax this is a good idea but after a week it should go up BUT in normal severs hug no...

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:36 pm

thats what i was trying to say gop! the patch IS a good idea for PAX, i admitted that, but if toonces puts in a patch, it effects ALL the servers, destroying them!

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:50 am

how does this destroy permas? unless you log in less than like once a week or something, nothing changes for you. it only affects inactive people.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:06 am

"inactivity" is a subjective term! you should NEVER be punished for having a real life that prevents you from playing 24/7, and thats exactly what a patch like this is intended to do!

if you seriously don't understand how this would be a terrible thing you shouldn't be allowed to post at all.

chronas

Post by chronas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:17 pm

I had no intention of making anyone play the game 24/7. The thing is on the permas we still have a lot of people that havent logged in for months and some over a year or two. There has to be some kind of cut off.

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:03 pm

This is only a problem on perma pax games.

For all PK games, pax rebangs, and pax big bangs, leave it as-is.

For perma pax, the better idea is to convert those servers into pax big bangs. Ultimately there should be 3 pax big bang servers so a new one is starting each month. Give the current perma players notice that their game will bang in 30-90 days. Toonces: yes there will be complaints, but they will live, and they might even become paying customers.

Perma pax games are stagnant, they divide the player base, and they don't generate any revenue after the first 2 months. The basic SGE gameplay logic simply doesn't extend well to perma pax games. Trying to "fix" perma pax would require a much larger logic overhaul than the original poster's idea suggests. A proper "fix" would also piss off the current pax perma players, and would still result in little to no revenue. Better to go with what is simple and what is sure to work, and requires little to no developer effort.

chronas

Post by chronas » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Squeemish...Do you have any clue as to what your talking about?

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:51 pm

yes he does, he was 100 percent right in every possible way a post could be.

chronas, there IS a cutoff already designed into the game, we don't need you to constantly suggest more. if you are aren't enjoying whichever perma pax you play, maybe you should realize just how accurate what squeemish said was and switch your efforts over to a pk game or a big bang.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 pm

If im not mistaken, wasn't squeemish #1 on a perma pax at one time? if not, i still know for a fact that he has a little bit of a clue when it comes to pax :wink:

chronas

Post by chronas » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:12 am

If i wanted to play a PK game I would and have done so before. That is my option. I am sick and tired of of idiots like yourself trying to push me into a PK server. Its so boring because it normally takes a bunch of morons to gang up on someone with a few colonies. Its the same old thing. You all brag about it but what have you really done? SO stick to the area you want to be in and stop being a bunch of nerds. I know this game as well as most of you. So stop with the poor comments. Get to the subject and maybe i can respect you for having a real brain. If some of you had any intelligence then you would have a clue about innovation in this game. If you want to act like an immature kid then go hang around others like you. Its really disgusting how some of you act on this forum. I am sure in real live you would have respect for others. Some how i believe Toonces really rolls his eyes at the amount of trash that some of you put into writing. If you have nothing to say that is worth reading then don't post it here.
Tek the only thing you did on a perma that i saw was cry when you got mined. SO dont preach.
Squeemish is another cry baby..

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:36 pm

whats got you all butt hurt? are you mad because im so much smarter than you and always shoot down your fuck1ng horrible suggestions, or is it something else? it sounds like you haven't been to a pk perma in a long time, there is maybe 1 out of 20 with enough players to gang up.

the reason i suggested pk has nothing to do with my oversized ego or your obvious lack of skill, it is because it lets even bad players like you manually clear out your opposition. that way instead of suggestion god awful patches that ruin the game all the time you could just wipe out all those totally inactive people in your way and be done with it. i would be happy for you if you ever "won" a server so you could see why all the BBQ you say is so stupid. also i wasn't flaming you for being afraid of "other player" based competition (although you clearly are over sensitive about it) i was just saying that since pax dynamics never have and never can work in a perma you should switch to pax big bangs or something.

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:14 am

Chronas is just trolling. Ignore him and move on kids.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 pm

i would drop it and move on, its not like him and his ridiculously wrong oppinions matter to me... but he already snuck in that terrible 5% tax BBQ on us when i wasn't around to flame his BBQ threads to oblivion. yah that was him, if you LOVE how bad 5% tax ruins your rebangs and permas talk to chronas.

TT

Post by TT » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:22 pm

I would think the forced 5% tax was especially crippling to pax players... since they are stuck with it forever and I really don't see how planets like volcanics, greenhouses, or even rockies are viable with that much tax.

Maybe without the need for military you can make up for it with entertainment or harvesting extra resources but I'm hard pressed to think a volcanic would ever be usable on a pax with the tax

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:24 am

even with 5% tax (which im not sure i understand the purpose of, but w/e) on perma paxs rockies and greenhouses can usually balance out to 5000 at least, sometimes taking a little pollution to achieve, and volcs sometimes can with typically less than 1% pollution in my experience, so no tax doesnt really hurt perma paxers :P

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:30 pm

the purpose of suggeesting it was to cripple people better than chronas in his pax (which really just means thy started earlier, not that they are any good). it does a great job of that, but not just in pax. the reason toonces went forward on it was because chronas was/is right about paxes being broken, but toonces refuses to make patches into server variables and applied the pax fix to everything that WASNT broke as well.

we're supposed to be glad it was lowered from the original 7%, but the fact that it should never have been applied to non pax servers AT ALL cancels out that so called compromise.

bottom line is i would be chronas's biggest supporter if eiter:
toonces learned not to break three types of server with a fix meant only for the fourth
OR chronas learned enough about game dynamics to come up with a solution that when applied to all game types didnt break them

i highly doubt anything can b done for them without specific targeting patches on just them, so if i played pax permas i would be pissed about how broken they are, then give up on permas and do bb pax or build/maintain for a team of dueltards n a pk perma. since thats what i would do myself, idk how it can be taken as a personal attack when i advise less wise people to do the same.

chronas

Post by chronas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:54 pm

tekkamanblade you certainly talk a lot. I am just wondering if you will ever say anything constructive. You burn lots of posts, but where are your solution's?

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:31 pm

good idea for pax .
Disastrous for non pax.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:35 am

most of my solutions were implemented long before you ever found out about starport man. the rest are so radical they wont be embraced for a few more years to come.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 am

Wow... I read this and it looks like chronas is taking things really badly, LOL. People only said that the idea would not work on all types of servers... not that it was a bad idea for PAX servers. Dude, I can understand why you are on the defensive, but try to get off it and listen to them, they really are only giving you constructive criticism.

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:07 pm

What ArdRhys4 Said