Change default attributes when creating a new character?

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Freakazoid

Change default attributes when creating a new character?

Post by Freakazoid » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Every time we create a new character the default stats are 5 dexterity, 5 charisma and 5 wisdom. Of course most of us change that to 10 dexterity and 5 charisma when starting on a permanent server, because dexterity is a lot more important than charisma, and charisma is a lot more important than wisdom on such servers.

But what about the new players? Players who have no benefit of knowing how important dexterity really is? They start out at disadvantage on a server with severe competition, spend time flying unwieldy ships, having troubles fighting and invading and having a crappy experience overall which usually results in quitting.

Those extra 5 points of dexterity can really make a difference.

I think the default attribute spread should be changed to 10 dexterity/5 charisma/0 wisdom. May be a little warning box saying something like "It is highly recomended to choose 10 dexterity if this is you're a new player" could be added as well.

Even though this could eliminate attribute variation (which is not such a good thing variety is the spice of life, or something), it would give a lot more newbies the potential to grow and hone their skills.

:mrgreen:

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:18 pm

I disagree with changing the defaults I like it as it is and although most people do go with a 10 dex start there are a lot of people who don't like 10dex. However I would agree with a message better explaining the purpose of each statistic. When I first started I had no idea. However, I was lucky because I started out on a newb rebang and someone there was a vet in disquise who explained that to me.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:01 pm

j your a noob

NeatLogs

Post by NeatLogs » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:56 am

I'd rather that the point of the stats was made a little clearer via a little animation graphic that appears when you hover your mouse over a stat.

I'd also rather a message appearing saying "Warning, you have not customized your stats. Continue?"

Although everybody has different preferences, I'm all for having new players receiving any and all help to encourage them to be more competitive. So on this point, I agree with Ivelios.

The "a lot of people don't like 10dex start" arguement doesn't make sense, as somebody who knows enough about their play style to not start with 10 dex should know exactly what attribute scores they want in any case.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:31 pm

i agree with a message saying "it is recommended 10 dex......."

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:44 pm

"10 Dex is recommended be a competitive fighter, invader and to navigate space gravity"

Something that tells newbies WHY they NEED 10 Dex would help them tremendously. Only other thing I can think of is a percentage graph showing the stats of the top 50 people in that perm.

95% of pilots in top 50 on this perm choose 10 Dex
3% of pilots in top 50 on this perm choose 10 Wisdom
2% of pilots in top 50 on this perm choose 10 Charisma

Use the top 10/50/100 for their comparison since most of those players are the successful ones.

milo

Post by milo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 pm

that's a neat idea luna and i'd prefer to see it this way, but it'd be much easier to display a "tooltip" message explaining what they are used for.