idea: sleeper saver "auto pilot"

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

darkfreedom

idea: sleeper saver "auto pilot"

Post by darkfreedom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:32 pm

Ok, i know sleepers come up in the forums a lot. I tend to sleep in-game while I am asleep or working, so I only get to play for a few hours a day, and i have had my little colony taken over every time I've logged out so far. This got me to thinking, if you were able to purchase an "autopilot" unit which would be kept in your equipment storage, you could engauge it before you log out and it would do one of a few things that you can set it for before you log out.

option 1: evade. this option would be useful on planet and in space.
when set to evade, your ship would automatically begin evasive manuvers if someone were to fire a weapon and it hit or came within a preset range of your ship.

option 2: defend. Useful mostly in space, but possibly on planet surface too. This option would let your autopilot track and fire upon your attacker using your scanners (and yes, the better the scanners you have the better your ship's auto aim would be) while moving to avoid being hit by enemy fire.

option 3: defend colony. useful only on planet with colony.This would allow your ship to use it's weapons in harmony with whatever planet based weapons you have set up to repel or eliminate an attacker.

option 4: cruise. useful only in space. This option would have your ship constantly moving from system to system warping here and there. the good part of this option is that the auto pilot would not cost you any fuel while it cruises aimlessly. the bad part, you have no clue where you'd be when you logged back in.

I believe this would work as it would simply turn your ship into an npc when activated (activation would include turning on the auto pilot, setting it to the preferred option, then logging out) that could only perform the tasks in the option you have chosen. Obviously, as soon as you log in the auto pilot would be disengauged and you assume command of your vessel. oh, just thought of one other add-on for the space based ones: any time your auto pilot is set to travel around in space, at the time you log in it would automatically drop anchor so you don't come into the game drifting without a set course.

Also, just because you have an auto pilot, it doesn't mean your ship/colony will surely be safe and secure upon your return, but it might help your odds improve a bit :)

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:19 am

...or you can just sleep in ports :)

Seriously though here are some major holes in your idea.

1) Teaching these behaviours to offline ships would require a lot of coding (not every idea that requires a lot of coding is bad, but this one is simply not worth the efforts).
2) Sleepers are inanimate objects. If all of the sudden they develop AI lag is going to go up.
3) Most sleepers are players who quit the game. Seems like a waste to spend valuable time and server resources on them.
4) It's not that expensive to safely sleep in a port.
5) Seriously, it's not expensive to sleep in a port.
6) No really, if you can't afford the measly sum required to safely log off you really need to revise your strategy.
7) With regards to your cruise option: I kind of expect my fuel to regenerate while I'm gone. Don't really see the merits of AI wasting it, it can't appreciate the process as much as I can.

Hmmmm, although...
The possibility of all the sleepers suddenly evolving a rudimentary intelligence and leaving planets to attack the still-breathing players, forced to rampage through the galaxy by the insatiable hunger for human flesh and wanton destruction does sound promising ;).

Last edited by Freakazoid on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:51 am

Freakazoid wrote:...or you can just sleep in ports :)

Seriously though here are some major holes in your idea.

1) Teaching these behaviours to offline ships would require a lot of coding (not every idea that requires a lot of coding is bad, but this one is simply not worth the efforts).
2) Sleepers are inanimate objects. If all of the sudden they develop AI lag is going to go up.
3) Most sleepers are players who quit the game. Seems like a waste to spend valuable time and server resources on them.
4) It's not that expensive to safely sleep in a port.
5) Seriously, it's not expensive to sleep in a port.
6) No really, if you can't afford the measly sum required to safely log off you really need to revise your strategy.
7) With regards to your cruise option: I kind of expect my fuel to regenerate while I'm gone. Don't really see the merits of AI wasting it, it can't appreciate the process as much as I can.
yeah... I think he pretty much covered it

Oh yeah as for your colony. I've got several servers where I have one or two colonies that I have kept for months without watching or taking care of and without them being invaded. If your this newby... GET THE HELL OUT OF CLASSIC

go to a different server with not many people online, your much more likely to find people there around your skill level that you can compete with or join forces with. If you come to the game and jump right into a server like classic your gonna get frustrated and leave. And look around to find some pictures of properly defended colonies and/or go land on some good corps cols. If your colony is getting invaded constantly like that, youre prolly one of those newbs who sticks 8 lazers on the colony and says, "yep that will stop them"

IT WONT STOP THEM!!!!!!!

and even worse are the newbs who fill their colony with lazers and say, "yep that will stop them"

IT WONT STOP THEM!!!!!!!!

Nothing will stop them... ever!!!! the people that are invading you are taking the exact same risks you are, more actually cause their risking their life everytime they invade, but they are surviving fine.