[IDEA] Colonial Capital.

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Fred

[IDEA] Colonial Capital.

Post by Fred » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Actual idea is in bold, because a lot is explanation.

Ok, so it's really hard to get started in this game as a new player (I don't mean moneywise, I mean, learning the game. Setting up empires, learning to invade, things like that.)

Personally, I've played Starcraft twice before I reinstalled it last week. First time I had fun for the first day, then was frustrated when I couldn't play as long the next. (Sad gaming ftw.) Second time, I played for a little longer but ultimately, I left because I found it TOO hard (getting caught robbing, not being able to build colonies fast enough - lack of money, but not what I'm getting at.)

Recently, I've played on two main servers. Classic Homeworlds and P3. I woulda only played on Classic, but someone helped me out and invited me over to P3 to learn to invade and general stuff. My problem was mainly on classic, as a newbie it IS hard to build a colony. Nobody explains that they need to be defended, at most a newbie will put down 8 flaks and consider it strong enough to withstand any attack. However, again, my problem is not with that.

I built my first real colony a few days after I started playing, dropped on a desert with beehive layout. I filled it with lasers and some mines around the biodome (btw, if you think this is a rant, I suppose it is, but it DOES have a purpose.) Solar was on 4, I think. So I considered it pretty well defended, as one does when they are still new to the colony side of the game.

However, inevitably it was taken. And so, after spending my last week on the game I am once again back where I started, no colony, no money, only a little more XP. What if we were able to designate a CAPITAL of our colonial empire, a colony that would not be able to be invaded?

Obviously, this could be severely overpowered. So perhaps, it could count as UN protection (Massive costs to stay in there, no interest earned.) Perhaps it could only be on 5/10k population planets too, although that might elimate the whole "protect the newbie" element of the idea.

I'll finish by saying that, after observing the chat on classic for a while, most of it to do with colonies is "OMG U TOOK MY COLONY!!! IM QUITIN" followed by a few "lol."'s, I think that this idea could seriously improve the size of the player base (which is what we all want? isn't it? - more newbies to kill for the evil players, more friends to talk to and help out for the nice people :P)

Please don't reply with "Bad idea.", please tell me why it is. :) (Also, I understand if this was too long to read.)

kthxbai, Fred.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:54 pm

I didnt bother with colonies till I knew how to fight and had a good wad of cash (colonies on keeping them). fight grab struggle and earn up to about 10 mill cash make sure everyone around you knows your dangerous (ie make sure you train hard where you can) and you will likely be left alone or pulled into a larger more powerful corp . You will need 10 mill cash mainly for the defences , I used layouts I saw on the more stronger corps (while they were offline) and a bit of common sense. on a capital which could not be invaded umm I would say then youd be stuck with morons .

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Those are good points, but fighting isn't for everyone. It shouldn't be a required part of the gameplay, having to be able to fight sort of eliminates the purpose of a colony. If you can't fight to protect the col, no point in building it in the first place.

Personally, I much prefer building to fighting (and sometimes invading, espcially when I have no friends online.) I understand that a lot of money is needed to build a colony currently, but with a capital it would allow newer players who don't have the required funds to barge 125 lasers to the planet immediately to build colonies and get a feel for the empire building side of SGE.

I know you could argue this is what PAX is for, and yeah, I suppose. But, it IS nice to take an occasional break from building to have a little PK hunt, and things like that.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:19 pm

Fred wrote:I know you could argue this is what PAX is for, and yeah, I suppose. But, it IS nice to take an occasional break from building to have a little PK hunt, and things like that.
true, pax is boring sometimes cuz there is nothing to do (i know i am there in pax everlasting) and sometimes i wish i could kill plp, and pax is kinda full right now, what i mean by that is there isn't a lot of colony's open, since the strong corps got them all (coming from a strong corp i know :P )

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:41 am

I completely disagree. This idea has been suggested so many times and is never very popular...

Under no circumstances should a colony not be invadeable, this will be both exploited for military purposes and prevent the ability to whipe people from a server.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:38 am

Jwilson6 wrote:I completely disagree. This idea has been suggested so many times and is never very popular...

Under no circumstances should a colony not be invadeable, this will be both exploited for military purposes and prevent the ability to whipe people from a server.
Agree 100%

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:08 pm

Agree 75%

Mikal

Post by Mikal » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:22 pm

an un-invadeable colony?
are you a total retard?
If you dont like your colonies being taken , dont hugging build
otherwise get used to it

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:55 pm

I completely disagree. This idea has been suggested so many times and is never very popular...

I understand what you mean, and I agree it could be exploited too much. Thanks for explaining the problems with it.
Mikal wrote:an un-invadeable colony?
are you a total retard?
If you dont like your colonies being taken , dont hugging build
otherwise get used to it
Hey, I don't mind you saying the idea is bad, but at least other people gave a reason rather than calling me a "total retard". Shame you can only insult people rather than explain why it's bad. ;)

dirt

Post by dirt » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:02 pm

No dice. Having a planet that can't be invaded is never a good thing, store all your weps on it sleep on it, w/e you never have to worry. Everyone should have to worry sometimes.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:14 pm

dirt wrote:No dice. Having a planet that can't be invaded is never a good thing, store all your weps on it sleep on it, w/e you never have to worry. Everyone should have to worry sometimes.
I did say it would act as though it was under UN protection, so you'd get charged taxes for sleeping on it.

Then again, the taxes on your dome could cover the costs of that if you didn't have a very high XP.

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:54 pm

I would agree with this under the following conditions.

The planet cannot have a weps factory.

Taxed 500k creds per hour to sleep there.

There better be a Wendy's in there as well.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:16 am

dirt wrote:There better be a Wendy's in there as well.
what about me? i like checker's :lol: