Planet Defense Walls...

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Merlin

Planet Defense Walls...

Post by Merlin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:19 am

Well,

Since I'm back I thought I'd start posting again...I'll try not to be as long winded as I used to be... ;o)

Idea:

New defences for planets...walls that would be visible only the planet owner/Corp. CEO when they are placed...walls that would be buried in the ground until triggers by an enemy ship flying over a hidden sensor somewhere in the planet…thus releasing the walls and creating choke points that either prevent the enemy from leaving or provide additional protection to domes.

The walls would need two nuke hits to take down…just like flaks/lasers and the walls and sensors would take up the same space as other defences. Also walls would attach to adjacent structures (i.e. planet walls) to prevent sliding until they are shot down.

Now…to be clear…walls wouldn’t come up automatically…lets say you place sensors somewhere on the planet…and walls at the entrance to the colony…the invader wouldn’t see the walls until he accidentally tripped the sensor.

I hope you guys see where I’m going with this…think about the potential on planets with long corridors leading from entrance to dome…with a sensor close to the dome…and enough walls placed at the entrance to stop a quick escape…defenders will have a little extra protection…not too much of course…because the more walls you install the less lasers and flaks and mines you can use…and you are not always guaranteed to have someone trip the sensor…would ad a little more skill required both to building and invading.

Peace,

Merlin

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:39 am

instant death traps. =(

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:53 pm

The idea has potential, but not as is.
A chunk of wall should be a single entity, much like a laser cannon, and taking up similar space. It could perhaps be a square that'd fill the slot. The wall would have health and could be destroyed, but would yield no exp for doing so. It'd not attack, just block off space the same as a laser cannon would. However, the difference would be it should be cheap as heck. Players could see the walls, players could shoot the walls, but they can't fly through them. it'd block the same as a laser cannon or flak cannon, but without being able to shoot at an enemy. Perhaps it'd also have a particularly high health, being a solid chunk of *insert material here*

Wouldn't unbalance, wouldn't intefere with sliding (infact if people are using these, sliding would be even easier as you could slide past walls that WOULDN'T shoot at you it'd just be a cheap and unique way to block off an area.
Also walls wouldn't be usuable in space, they could only be placed on planets, to prevent people from walling sectors off.

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Walls in space?
Hmmmm.....
it would be better then lasers no?

tsat8994

Post by tsat8994 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:29 pm

I like the idea in general, but....

I gotta agree, instant death trap. Your scenario of placing a trip wire close to the dome to block retreat... Two nukes to kill a section of wall...

So I race in, fire off my 8 nukes and trip the wire only to turn around and face a wall that I cannot now destroy...

Better to just have the walls be static, always visable. Then use them to block access to the dome.

I know it still won't be liked because a wall means no sliding, you have to destroy the wall, no slipping by it. Unless you couldn't put walls XX spaces from the dome???

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:05 am

tsat8994 wrote:I like the idea in general, but....

I gotta agree, instant death trap. Your scenario of placing a trip wire close to the dome to block retreat... Two nukes to kill a section of wall...

So I race in, fire off my 8 nukes and trip the wire only to turn around and face a wall that I cannot now destroy...

Better to just have the walls be static, always visable. Then use them to block access to the dome.

I know it still won't be liked because a wall means no sliding, you have to destroy the wall, no slipping by it. Unless you couldn't put walls XX spaces from the dome???
Well, ideally, a wall-segment would function just like placing a laser or whatnot, I would think.

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:54 am

Careful, this is becoming a Barricades retread, and that is one horse many would rather stay buried. Remember, think of if everyone used it, a.k.a., on permaverses. :mrgreen:

urablahblah

Post by urablahblah » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:27 am

Yeah, this has been suggested from the very beginning, and has never gotten anywhere. Sorry. Its just too easily exploited.

milo

Post by milo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:48 pm

wb merlin

i like the general idea of having walls on planets, however i disagree on how they should work. i imagine them working like this:

- they require 4 nukes worth of damage to kill
- they cost 10k at any starbase
- they are placed just like turrets or mines
- they are larger than turrets and mines and so they can't be wall-slided
- they are always visible to everyone

they cost less than lasers and flacks and take more damage but they are inanimate(they don't shoot back) so this makes them a cheap alternative early in rebangs as well as being used in combination with other types of defenses in more developed games.

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:19 pm

I don't like this idea...

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:52 pm

i like it

dirt

Post by dirt » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:39 am

No good, too unbalanced, Imaging someone packs all the defenses at the one side of the planet you go in see the 10 shot 120 burst, turn around knowing you have just enough to get out, wtf theres a wall there, i just spent all my nukes.

Besides planets already have walls, we don't need anymore.

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:39 am

Make a limit of 4 walls on the planet.

urablahblah

Post by urablahblah » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:07 am

Epic FAIL I believe. There is just no way to make it work. Nobody has ever made it work.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:59 am

I like the idea but I know it will be the reason why I would need therapy in the future...so its a no from me :s

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:51 am

urablahblah wrote:Epic FAIL I believe. There is just no way to make it work. Nobody has ever made it work.
Ah... Has anyone ever TRIED to make it work...

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:54 am

milo wrote:wb merlin

i like the general idea of having walls on planets, however i disagree on how they should work. i imagine them working like this:

- they require 4 nukes worth of damage to kill
- they cost 10k at any starbase
- they are placed just like turrets or mines
- they are larger than turrets and mines and so they can't be wall-slided
- they are always visible to everyone

they cost less than lasers and flacks and take more damage but they are inanimate(they don't shoot back) so this makes them a cheap alternative early in rebangs as well as being used in combination with other types of defenses in more developed games.
Hey Milo,

Good to see you and thank you for the constructive critisism...

Keep it coming guys...and sorry, not familiar with the "barracades" post... I still don't think this would be unballanced...and you can still kill the walls with reg weapons...it would jus take longer... I guess you invaders don't want a challenge... ;o) Something else to consider besides a defender with an emp...

Monkey

Post by Monkey » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:51 pm

...I kinda like this idea..would be fun and interesting to invade with them

Inigox5

Post by Inigox5 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:24 pm

2 nukes?

Slightly unbalanced

If

There was a limit of 4 per planet,

Possibly two fusion blasts worth of damage

This way, you could strategically place them so that while sliding, if a wall suddenly appeared, you'd have to spend energy to get rid of it.

They could be medium to largely expensive

And

They shouldn't be able to be placed within a 15 square distance from the warp or dome.

Probably get screamed at but yeah

:D

urablahblah

Post by urablahblah » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:47 am

Merlin wrote:
urablahblah wrote:Epic FAIL I believe. There is just no way to make it work. Nobody has ever made it work.
Ah... Has anyone ever TRIED to make it work...
Yeah, this idea has been around since the very birth of SP, and it has always failed. Use the planet for Christ sake.

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:49 pm

This would become anti-slider defenses, standard on every single planet within a month. Even with limits in place, you'd only need 1-2 at the ends of key sliding routes to ensure people always have to bombards a hole in your defenses. Much like the EMP Cannon idea, this could at-most be a Rebang-only addition. Fun vs. monotony, paper vs. practice, etc.. :mrgreen:

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:28 pm

I like this idea, it would be even cooler, (but a little unrealistic) if they where used as space barricades as well

Jiachi

Post by Jiachi » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:03 am

Price: 2.5k tokens each
There, now 'maybe' Toonces will like it. :mrgreen:

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Don't like the idea, I assume the whole purpose is to quite literally death trap people on the cols and prevent wall sliding. I think just using lasers flaks and cmines is sufficient with high shot solars.

milo

Post by milo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:25 pm

This would become anti-slider defenses, standard on every single planet within a month. Even with limits in place, you'd only need 1-2 at the ends of key sliding routes to ensure people always have to bombards a hole in your defenses. Much like the EMP Cannon idea, this could at-most be a Rebang-only addition. Fun vs. monotony, paper vs. practice, etc..
/second that

remedy = make them weigh a sh*t-load so that each one placed is like placing 10-20 turrets. reducing the total ammount of placable turrets will counter act their slide stopping benefits