We'll call it the "Skill Server"

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

General_Neox

We'll call it the "Skill Server"

Post by General_Neox » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 am

I request a perma and/or rebang be made where people with credit cards dont get an unfair advantage over people that lack one. aka. the use of ig ships to hunt by sol and shoot down random nubs or to get a better start on a server then others. I wish for once id see less people with ig ships in the top ten... this game needs more skill to prosper in instead of clicking the 10 k max button on the token screen...

Freakazoid

Re: We'll call it the "Skill Server"

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:55 am

General_Neox wrote:I request a perma and/or rebang be made where people with credit cards dont get an unfair advantage over people that lack one. aka. the use of ig ships to hunt by sol and shoot down random nubs or to get a better start on a server then others. I wish for once id see less people with ig ships in the top ten... this game needs more skill to prosper in instead of clicking the 10 k max button on the token screen...
I would back up any idea that makes the game fairer to people who don't buy tokens, but would the admins?

I think a perma like this should cost 1-2 tourney points to enter, to balance the costs of launching a new server.
Last edited by Freakazoid on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:05 am

The admins wud rather pay their mortgage then make the game fair.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:07 am

General_Neox wrote:The admins wud rather pay their mortgage then make the game fair.
Yea, but shouldn't you first suggest something to get rid of those damn advertisements in the game and on the site? They're annoying the crap out of me!

Also, when you get some positive feedback on that I'd love to see you use your community magic to open up that classic server for everyone. Having to pay a tourney every month for that server really is too much.

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:17 am

Your sarcasm is overwhelming sir.

Go rape someone elses ideas

dirt

Post by dirt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:27 am

I take it you got podded by an igs and you can't afford tokens, or don't have a credit card. Here's a suggestion. Actually here's 2.

1.) get a Credit Card

2.) if 1 won't work for you then get an isc.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:52 am

General_Neox wrote:Your sarcasm is overwhelming sir.

Go rape someone elses ideas
Your reaction proves I'm right. :D

Fayil

Re: We'll call it the "Skill Server"

Post by Fayil » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:41 pm

General_Neox wrote:I request a perma and/or rebang be made where people with credit cards dont get an unfair advantage over people that lack one. aka. the use of ig ships to hunt by sol and shoot down random nubs or to get a better start on a server then others. I wish for once id see less people with ig ships in the top ten... this game needs more skill to prosper in instead of clicking the 10 k max button on the token screen...
Spice Pirates and/or Ring Nebula.

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:26 pm

No, all online systems need some revenue stream. There are 5 ways.

1) Ad based - This would suck. Thankfully SGE doesn't do this.

2) Donations - I doubt this would work as it never works for games. When was the last time you saw a non-crippled shareware game? It can work for open source projects, but that doesn't apply here.

3) Entrance fee - This is implemented as the token games including the championships. Once you pay your entrance fee it is a completely level playing field. This is exactly what you are asking for.

4) Pay for Upgrades/Services - This is implemented in the standard rebangs and permas. Given your comments I guess this isn't for you.

5) Transaction Fees / Taxes - This is included to make the list complete but its hard to see how it could be incorporated into SGE.

The one item in your post with merit is the lack of an extended or perma tourney galaxy, but I can't see the one-time fee covering costs if there are few users.

There is no free lunch. Pick from the above choices (3 or 4 in this case) and stop complaining.

Disclaimer: Yes I have purchased the IG ship on some perma and extended games.

milo

Post by milo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:07 pm

you don't need to buy tokens to get them, TRADE! i collect about 15k-20k in tokens every month without paying a cent.

and
advertisements in the game
??? :shock: ?

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:18 pm

milo wrote:you don't need to buy tokens to get them, TRADE! i collect about 15k-20k in tokens every month without paying a cent.

and
advertisements in the game
??? :shock: ?
It's called sarcasm ;)

milo

Post by milo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:28 pm

lol :oops: yea i'm pretty gullible and i don't catch sarchasm very easily.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 pm

In the long run tokens and IG ships won't be what makes all the colonies thrive. TEAMWORK makes a server and Corporation thrive. Tokens can be purchased from players with in game credits, so you should plan ahead and then you'll have nothing to worry about.

I haven't bought tokens in 1.5 years. All my current tokens come from players that I bought and converted to other servers. The REAL problem isn't the tokens itself, it's the PLAYERS.

The game has progressed into a mostly non-newbie friendly environment full of disgruntled, bitter players that prey on the newbies. If you change their attitude then you will succeed in changing the dynamics of how players are treated. Until they're re-educated it's going to be an uphill battle on every new Perm that's banged.

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Here's a thread that dropped onto page 2 on unique servers. As to this idea, I'd say we already have tourney point servers, and their player counts are d@nm sparse. :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?t=10111

MorteshDoomLord

Post by MorteshDoomLord » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:29 pm

dirt wrote:I take it you got podded by an igs and you can't afford tokens, or don't have a credit card. Here's a suggestion. Actually here's 2.

1.) get a Credit Card

2.) if 1 won't work for you then get an isc.
'

considering that a isc can do the same work as an igs and a seth can do it better than both. the ship doesn't matter. its the fat that the pilot is ignorant of how to get away from it.

Mortesh - survivor of a 4vme agiesnt douchebags