Photon cannon explosions hurt corpies

Report bugs for Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Broose

Photon cannon explosions hurt corpies

Post by Broose » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:47 am

me and my corpie were playing around on a gas giant, and we found out that the explosion from a photon cannon shot will hurt anyone, including your corp mates

EDIT: Just found out that the same works with nukes, so I wouldn't be surprised if all splash damage weapons will do this

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:59 am

this is NOT a bug, its a FEATURE!!!!

for the love of god do not alter the photon, nuke, or explosive charge splash mechanics! sending corpmates to sol is now and has always been a fuel efficiency and time saving strategy which is widely used.

now, if you want to talk about "faulty" splash mechanics, lets talk flaks and solar cannons. when you are on the surface of your own planet defending it against invaders, you are 100 times more likely to die from sol and flak splash than you are to the invaders. THIS is a bug.

totally removing the ability to defend your planets from the surface inflicts a tremendous wound on gameplay and goes a LONG way towards negating the ceo and sethdar special weapons.

Broose

Post by Broose » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:06 am

So you're saying Toonces did it on purpose? Cuz if he didn't you pretty much just admitted to exploiting a glitch.

captainjf

Post by captainjf » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:01 am

its not exploitation, its a way of saving fuel if your invading far from sol. i.e. you would only use half of fuel and half of time

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Imagine this: corpie dies on col 40 hops from sol (nearest base) you splash kill your corpie by his request, and so he saves 200 fuel frmo coming back.

CaffeinatedCoder
Site Admin

Post by CaffeinatedCoder » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:08 pm

tekkamanblade, I ususally leave the forum stuff to our moderators but in this case you've offended me. Calling people names like that is childish. The OP made a legitimate point and you had a legitmate point as well. You end up as coming off as someone who's rude and obnoxious as opposed to someone with a point of view that might be worthwile.

EDIT, I deleted the offending posts.

milo

Post by milo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:10 pm

or the love of god do not alter the photon, nuke, or explosive charge splash mechanics! sending corpmates to sol is now and has always been a fuel efficiency and time saving strategy which is widely used.
since when has it saved fuel. you get charged for towing. (if you don't have enough fuel it charges your corpies)

and this is part of the game. it's called splash damage. your torps won't explode when they hit a corpie but if they hit a wall next to one of your corp mates they will deal a certain percentage of the full amount of damage depending on how close they are to explosion
now, if you want to talk about "faulty" splash mechanics, lets talk flaks and solar cannons. when you are on the surface of your own planet defending it against invaders, you are 100 times more likely to die from sol and flak splash than you are to the invaders. THIS is a bug.

totally removing the ability to defend your planets from the surface inflicts a tremendous wound on gameplay and goes a LONG way towards negating the ceo and sethdar special weapons.
i disagree with all of this. it is fine the way it is. if you die from your own defenses in this manner then it is your fault for using poor tactics.

again people, you do not save fuel buy dying and getting sent to sol. it charges you 8 gallons per hop. and it calculates the number of hops it would take to get to sol on autopilot. so since it does not factor in arti bonuses for fuel efficiency, which base is actually closest, or that there is probably a shorter way to sol using bh's, you will probably be using more fuel to go to sol by getting killed than by just flying there manually. the only thing it saves is time unless your ship normally has a warpfuel usage of over 8gph and there is no shortcut to sol and sol is the nearest base.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:25 pm

CaffeinatedCoder wrote:tekkamanblade, I ususally leave the forum stuff to our moderators but in this case you've offended me. Calling people names like that is childish. The OP made a legitimate point and you had a legitmate point as well. You end up as coming off as someone who's rude and obnoxious as opposed to someone with a point of view that might be worthwile.

don't take it personaly bro he is an idiot if he purposely tryed to insult you, from all the admins i think you are the coolest and also the easyest to talk to. and this forum would stink without you :wink:

by the way i got a question for you, will pm you shortly (could've asked toonces, but last time i talked to him, he had forgotten what i had asked him lol, beside between u and me, he might be this game god's, but you way cooler ;)) lol

Broose

Post by Broose » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:59 pm

milo wrote:
or the love of god do not alter the photon, nuke, or explosive charge splash mechanics! sending corpmates to sol is now and has always been a fuel efficiency and time saving strategy which is widely used.
since when has it saved fuel. you get charged for towing. (if you don't have enough fuel it charges your corpies)

and this is part of the game. it's called splash damage. your torps won't explode when they hit a corpie but if they hit a wall next to one of your corp mates they will deal a certain percentage of the full amount of damage depending on how close they are to explosion

i disagree with all of this. it is fine the way it is. if you die from your own defenses in this manner then it is your fault for using poor tactics.

again people, you do not save fuel buy dying and getting sent to sol. it charges you 8 gallons per hop. and it calculates the number of hops it would take to get to sol on autopilot. so since it does not factor in arti bonuses for fuel efficiency, which base is actually closest, or that there is probably a shorter way to sol using bh's, you will probably be using more fuel to go to sol by getting killed than by just flying there manually. the only thing it saves is time unless your ship normally has a warpfuel usage of over 8gph and there is no shortcut to sol and sol is the nearest base.
Thanks for giving me a sensible reason for this being there, instead of just saying why it's useful.

toast

Post by toast » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:44 am

isnt the towing charge usually less then the amount of gas it would take to warp to the nearest base? (at least i only suicide when im like 10+ hops from a base).

And does it really charge your corpies?

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:47 am

milo wrote:

it costs 100 fuel to get towed, a 40 hop trip costs much more than 100 fuel

Michael2

Post by Michael2 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:29 pm

Feenix wrote:don't take it personaly bro he is an idiot if he purposely tryed to insult you, from all the admins i think you are the coolest and also the easyest to talk to. and this forum would stink without you

by the way i got a question for you, will pm you shortly (could've asked toonces, but last time i talked to him, he had forgotten what i had asked him lol, beside between u and me, he might be this game god's, but you way cooler ) lol
Would you like a bigger straw Feenix?

ZeN.PLUR

Post by ZeN.PLUR » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:54 pm

lol some suckn up doesnt hurt a lil bit mike

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:30 am

CaffeinatedCoder wrote:tekkamanblade, I ususally leave the forum stuff to our moderators but in this case you've offended me. Calling people names like that is childish. The OP made a legitimate point and you had a legitmate point as well. You end up as coming off as someone who's rude and obnoxious as opposed to someone with a point of view that might be worthwile.

rude and obnoxious? the guy clearly has no understanding of the game and is sitting there accusing me of being a glitch abuser. he deserves every bit of rude and obnoxious i can pump out.

Broose

Post by Broose » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:24 am

I deserve to be mistreated for not knowing this one goddamned strategy?
And what the hell do you mean no understanding of the game? I'm sure toonces wasn't thinking "hey, I'm going to make a game where people can use splash damage to save fuel." The only CLEAR thing here is you found a new player you would bother so you can feel better about yourself, when you have no skill in anything outside of SGE.

And what the hell is with all the highschool drop-outs on SGE trying to form a legible sentence? hugging pricks...

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:38 pm

ZeN.PLUR wrote:lol some suckn up doesnt hurt a lil bit mike
rofl true, but of all admins i prefer CC better, :D

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Splash damage does a lot more than just ensuring a cheaper trip to sol. It can be used in space fights, when someone fires some splash weapon (like a nuke, but photons work too) and you hover above someone of the opposing party.

Or can make sure someone guarding a planet with a lot of flaks on it isn't too safe. You can turn the flaks on and make them hurt the person.

It also makes sure that missing someone with 0 shields by a hair with photons does splash so they die anyway =)

And i think people can think of some other uses of it.

I'd prefer it would be left in.

Broose

Post by Broose » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:04 am

I understand the concept of splash damage, but I was addressing how it affects corpies.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:15 am

oh w/e broose. i dont abuse new users to placate my ego. i do it because, for some reason, ptt acts on ill informed suggestions like this from new users like you more often than they listen to actually valid opinions and suggestions from existing users that actually have some clue as to what is and is not good for the game.

i agree that im an over the top donkey hole and none of this should have been in engineering section, those facts are indisputable, but dont mistake me for your idea of me when it is equally, if not more, misinformed than your idea of what is and is not a glitch.

TT

Post by TT » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:38 am

The splash damage effects your own ship so of course it effects your corpies.

I agree that it should be left as is.