Interested in coming back after 6 years.

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

dondivad

Interested in coming back after 6 years.

Post by dondivad » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:28 pm

So I remember when I was young and back in high school, I used to play this game 24/7. Something about the brilliantly fun gameplay kept me hooked.
I'm not really sure, but out of nostalgia or some other reason I have this strong urge to come back.
What's the state of permas now? From what I can tell the focus has shifted entirely to rebangs (I don't like playing rebangs). Even when I left, permas were becoming increasingly inactive.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Re: Interested in coming back after 6 years.

Post by Saber-Fury » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:54 am

hey

the focus hasn't really shifted from permas to rebangs... most permas are less populated/competitive because the player base is spread out over like 10 different ones. rebangs aren't terribly inactive tho a couple are. Extended rebangs are usually pretty competitive.

There's been tons of changes since you left. lots of people have quit and the general consensus is that the game is in decline. toonces now runs the game by himself without a team. Gameplay has become more complex, and often imbalanced, so the simple game that you left is now very different. The perma dynamic has gone from a highly competitive, fast-paced war game with many active and distinct factions per server, to a single corp or group of players trying to amass as many colonies as possible so they can be virtual kings in a non-competitive environment

Just telling it like it is :?

If you haven't played in years, it will still be fun at first, for at least a couple weeks, maybe a month, maybe even two. Then you might start to lose interest

dondivad

Post by dondivad » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Alright so I had a good fill of maybe 6 hours of gameplay and used up all my warp fuel and founded 8 colonies.

But yeah, I really loved this game, the open-PvP gameplay with a massive galaxy is built to be most fun when there are tons of people on, but sadly that just doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Maybe if things were different and there was only 1 permaverse so that the entire playerbase was focused onto 1 server... But alas this isn't the case.

On a side note, I'm amazed Luna is still around though.

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu May 17, 2012 4:39 am

I'm still here but I haven't built a colony or been flying around since Classic ended. I didn't really want to start from zero again. It took a long time to build the Empires I've helped build since 2006. In the end all the Perms I had characters on, became stagnant, and then Toonces eliminated them one by one. I took a break, fully intending on playing again, but then found I no longer had any idea how to play with all the changes. Now I would like to play, but hate the idea of learning the gameplay all over again. I also now have a laptop, and it's really hard to play games on a laptop. The keys are different, smaller, and just harder to get used to.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat May 19, 2012 1:46 am

Luna wrote:I'm still here but I haven't built a colony or been flying around since Classic ended. I didn't really want to start from zero again. It took a long time to build the Empires I've helped build since 2006. In the end all the Perms I had characters on, became stagnant, and then Toonces eliminated them one by one. I took a break, fully intending on playing again, but then found I no longer had any idea how to play with all the changes. Now I would like to play, but hate the idea of learning the gameplay all over again. I also now have a laptop, and it's really hard to play games on a laptop. The keys are different, smaller, and just harder to get used to.

Buy a separate usb keyboard and plug it in to the laptop, much easier to play the game.

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon May 21, 2012 3:12 am

I never thought of that, thanks. Right now I'm flying around on the newest perm, and the desk my laptop sits on is about 5 inches higher than if I had my keyboard for my old desktop. The angle is just enough to make my shoulders and neck hurt everytime I play.