types of servers

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

tekkamanblade

types of servers

Post by tekkamanblade » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:09 pm

in starport, there are two main rules which we classify servers into groups by. the game's duration, and what ways you are allowed to interact with other players. we will first talk about the latter, whether a server is PK (player killing) or PAX. pk is the default game type, and whenever you mention a rebang or perma, it is assumed you mean pk unless you specifically add the term pax.

in player kill servers you can be killed essentially anywhere at anytime, and your colonies can be invaded by other players. nearly everyone in the community plays these types of servers, so while you might be at risk of invasion and death from enemies, you will also have MANY more oppurtunities to make friends. the risks involved also make victories sweeter, and the increased interaction with other players increases both short term fun and long term replay value.

in pax servers you cannot kill anyone or invade their planets. also, biodomes are incredibly expensive to compensate for the fact that they can never be invaded. this combined with the inability to kill and loot other players makes it much harder to start out in pax. this is especially true in never ending permanent pax servers, where every single planet is already colonized and you are not allowed to invade any of them.

both pk and pax servers can have variable game lengths. at the end of a server's duration, it rebangs, erasing all of your progress but rewarding you with a trophy or medal that stays on your account. this is why games with shorter lengths are typically refered to as rebangs and games with durations of forever that do not rebang are called permanent (permas).
Last edited by tekkamanblade on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tekkamanblade

Re: types of servers

Post by tekkamanblade » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:19 pm

there are a few additional types of server that defy the classification system outlined above.

big bangs are rebangs, but because they last 2-3 months instead of 2-3 weeks and give a trophy rather than a medal we added the term Big to clarify and give them distinction. like a normal rebang, big bangs can come in pk and pax variety. there is also a "intergalactics" big bang which uses the "classic" ruleset. the classic ruleset features reduced pollution, reduced population allowed in the maxed out biodome, and slighty increased population growth rate.

subscriber games are rebangs that cost a fee of 5k admiral tokens to enter, but do not allow spending of tokens other than that during the game. these are generally vacant.

tournaments are annual subscriber games that reward a trophy rather than a medal. these are usually jam packed because the token entry fees are put into a pot and divied out amongst the top few winners.

blitzkrieg is its own unique game type, where you are automatically placed into a team with other players, and is exclusively pk (as in no pax version). each round lasts minutes rather than weeks or months and has an extremely accelerated passage of time. its like playing starport in fast forward to bypass the boring stuff and get right into the action.
Last edited by tekkamanblade on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barefoot

Re: types of servers (for chronas who doesn't know)

Post by Barefoot » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 am

stop being a douche and do something better with your time. that's all i gotta say.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:24 pm

im not being a female hygeine product, its called constructive critisicm. he honestly doesn't understand the difference, so im helping him by laying it all out. perhaps other new users in the future could also benefit from this information, you dont know.
Last edited by tekkamanblade on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 am

Indeed. I actually believe that he does not understand the difference. As such, we have taught him the error of his ways^^.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 am

tekkamanblade wrote:im not being a female hygeine product, its called constructive critisicm. he honestly doesn't understand the difference, so im helping him by laying it all out. perhaps other new users in the future could also benefit from this information, you dont know.
It's not called constructive criticism. It's an attempt at humiliation. Send him a pm if you want to constructively criticize.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Every time he was told the difference, he completely ignores it and just says that he being flamed, as such, he created a topic so that people know the difference (it is harder to ignore a topic)

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:19 am

all i've posted here is helpful information, which is what the launchpad is for. you are the only one here hellbent on misconstruing it as an attack. personally i think chronas humiliates himself every time he posts, regardless of my interference, im just trying to help a brother out so he can avoid future mockery.
Last edited by tekkamanblade on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:41 am

tekkamanblade wrote:all i've posted here is helpful information, which is what the launchpad is for. you are the only one here hellbent on misconstruing it as an attack. personally i think chronas humiliates himself every time he posts, regardless of my interference, im just trying to help a brother out so he can avoid future mockery.
You're telling me that by putting (for chronas who doesn't know) in the title of the thread isn't mocking chronas? :shock: :shock:

Either PMing chronas this info personally since it's helpful information or eliminating that part of the title would have made sense to me.

I'm not a mod, so I'm not going to comment on this again, but you're crossing the line and I think you know it.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:53 am

Dave34 wrote:I'm going to go off topic here...

Barefoot, are you one of those people that wants everyone to feel good? (not saying that is wrong, just asking a general question, if you are thats good, this forum needs more people like you, if you are of course.)
Maybe so. I make a lot of women feel good.

ZING!

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 am

Your zing was large enough to be read fairly easily without quoting you. You should change the font. Also, maybe you SHOULD take out that part of the title.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 am

i had always intended to after chronas found it and read through it, but i CAN'T now because it would be like caving in to barefoot's demands. i would rather get it forcibly changed by a mod or recieve yet another forum ban added to my already extensive list than bow to this guy.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 am

At least I bother to read your extensive posts instead of posting the .gif that will not be named.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm

im changing it, but pm me this mystery image anyway!

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:03 am

Guys, I hate to point out the obvious but the perms, rebangs, and everything else has a description before you log into it. Take this to PM please.