Starting a successful corp

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Paneak

Starting a successful corp

Post by Paneak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Ok, I am going to start by saying I have only been playing SGE for about 3 months now but I have seen a need to post a few simple guidelines that I have come across for helping new players start/run a successful corp.

I'm going to add the following disclaimer before I start.
I play only on permas, so these might not apply to running a corp on a rebang.
Here are my top 10 things on what not to do or to do when starting/running your corp:

1. DO NOT put your password in your quote or shout it in game, this will only open you up to dishonest players who will rape you for what you are worth.

2. DO NOT spam "HIRING CORP MEMBER". A much better way to find corpmates is to work with a player as a contractor, and by talking to players. This will earn you that players respect and you can determine the trustworthyness of potential corpmates.

3. DO pick your battles wisely. This is a lesson i learned from Maagrath(Wicked Inc.) on P5. In short the big corps are big for a reason. You cannot achieve anything more than a aggravation factor for a large corp who not only has more resources, but probally a better method of attack than your new corp.

4. DO work with the top dog corps. Large corps (unless they are based on invading/combat or simply unreasonable) are usually more than willing to work with new players/corp as long as you agree to leave their corpmates and cols alone. They might even provide some support in the form of creds/lasers/protection while you get started.

5. Be open to diplomatic solutions. Most open wars can be avoided by simply taking a second to mail or /t a CEO or corpmate and working out a solution. Unless the player is a prick or unreasonable they want to be left alone...just like you do. An offer of a mutual NAP (Non aggression pact) or at the very least a cease fire will often be more than enough to resolve most problems. War should be avoided if at all possible, it only hurts both parties and slows down overall progress. Sure you might win the war, but now you are weakened against other corps may take advantage of you while you recoup from your war.

8. Take responsiblity for your corpmates, if they do something apologize for them and handle the problem internally. If you spend the bulk of your time fixing problems caused by a corpmate kick them. Even if they take a lot of cols with them, you will be better off in the long run. Especially if the corpmate is more aggressive than your corp model, this will probally keep you out of a war.

9. Pick your corpmates wisely, good corpmates will make or break your corp. Just don't hire someone because of exp or followers, get to know them first or ask vets on who they think will be a good fit for your corp. Once they know your play style...they will probally know of other players who would fit into your corp. Also, don't base the quality of a corpmate on their exp, my most valued corpmates were new when i hired them, interview and contract players to see them in action and see if they will fit into what you want from your corpmates. Also don't just take good fighters and invader, try to get a well rounded corp with builders and fighters/invaders.

10. DO keep corp communication open. This is your most powerful tool. You must communicate effectively to your corp so they know which direction you are heading and will stave off most diplomatic misunderstandings. Send mails daily to let corp know what is going on, who is ok to invade, who allies are, who NAPs are, etc. Communication will guaruntee your success or it will be your downfall.

I hope someone finds this useful.

fallenvictory

Re: Starting a successful corp

Post by fallenvictory » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Paneak wrote: 9. Pick your corpmates wisely, good corpmates will make or break your corp. Just don't hire someone because of exp or followers, get to know them first or ask vets on who they think will be a good fit for your corp. Once they know your play style...they will probally know of other players who would fit into your corp. Also, don't base the quality of a corpmate on their exp, my most valued corpmates were new when i hired them, interview and contract players to see them in action and see if they will fit into what you want from your corpmates. Also don't just take good fighters and invader, try to get a well rounded corp with builders and fighters/invaders.
meh, safer just to play with ppl u know irl, cuz ull always get screwed over by corpmates all the time

Grimoire

Post by Grimoire » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Or get ventrilo and actually talk to these people, you'd be surprised how much more you can accomplish by simply talking to your corpies. Plus its less like talking to a computer. And well you are talking to a computer, but so are the other guys :>

fallenvictory

Post by fallenvictory » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:11 am

Grimoire wrote:Or get ventrilo and actually talk to these people, you'd be surprised how much more you can accomplish by simply talking to your corpies. Plus its less like talking to a computer. And well you are talking to a computer, but so are the other guys :>
they screw u over anyways (starts with a d and ends with a rakonis)

Grimoire

Post by Grimoire » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:43 am

fallenvictory wrote:
Grimoire wrote:Or get ventrilo and actually talk to these people, you'd be surprised how much more you can accomplish by simply talking to your corpies. Plus its less like talking to a computer. And well you are talking to a computer, but so are the other guys :>
they screw u over anyways (starts with a d and ends with a rakonis)
Thats why we mute him! :lol:

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:25 am

Ive only had one corp mate EVER screw DA over.

Out of like 30 people.

Meliza

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 pm

I've never had anyone screw my corp...but have had trouble with corpmate not following corp directives. Interviews are good, rl knowledge would be better but not always an option.

anito1

Post by anito1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 pm

yeah at P5, im usually the top dog who's generous to helpin newbs...

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Paneak wrote:I've never had anyone screw my corp...but have had trouble with corpmate not following corp directives. Interviews are good, rl knowledge would be better but not always an option.
Ask Cheesy the last time he acually CLEANED a colony.

I declared an offical holiday one time he acually cleaned...

Did go through City Hall though...

Meliza

fallenvictory

Post by fallenvictory » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Stklr wrote:
Paneak wrote:I've never had anyone screw my corp...but have had trouble with corpmate not following corp directives. Interviews are good, rl knowledge would be better but not always an option.

Meliza
did we ask? no. do we care? no.

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:47 pm

fallenvictory wrote:
Stklr wrote:

Meliza
I was making a conversation, h wait I forgot your all alone in the ocean so youve never talked to anything but the fishies and coral.

fallenvictory

Post by fallenvictory » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:55 pm

Stklr wrote:
fallenvictory wrote:
Stklr wrote: Ask Cheesy the last time he acually CLEANED a colony.

Meliza
I was making a conversation, h wait I forgot your all alone in the ocean so youve never talked to anything but the fishies and coral.
plus, i have a layer of blubber to keep my body warm in the water :roll:

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:15 am

Hey, dont make fun of us fishies :evil:

toast

Post by toast » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:51 am

:D catfished dont have blubber :?

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 pm

way too wordy for me to read so heres my way :

Become a dictator let people know beforehand it is a military hierarchy....
Do not recruit directly into your personal corp that way nobody knows the exact strength of your corp (Sun Tzu).
Be open to suggestions only if you are a wuss who needs 'support' groups.
Make sure your corpies understand the true cost of failure on a mission or objective.
If corpy is willingly insubordinate... hurt there friends/pets till they become once again obedient.

Extract from Book of Grod.

vh04x

Post by vh04x » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:46 pm

I smell mutiny ;)

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Its been tried a few times always fails as I am the only one who knows 100% of the members. the most any Officer class will know is two others involved in the organistation (note this is old days I am not nor do I have any intention to go back to my 'secrety servicy typy stuffy)

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:05 pm

I have a democrocy corp, the only peace time powers I have are having people clean and build and stuff.

it sucks, but we do it a certain way that it works.

Meliza