Updated Resource Guide

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

M2-Destroyer

Re: Updated Resource Guide

Post by M2-Destroyer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:32 am

omlow wrote:this simply can't be up to date. a resource guide isn't very practical in todays starport, as colony building varies too much from individual planet to individual planet (opposed to ancient starport varying only between the planet types)

maybe an improvement on the colony calculator?

I'm sorry, you felt the need to bump this up from over a year ago?

Am i the only one that see's a problem with that? If it's dead, it's dead for a reason. Let it die in peace.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:18 am

omlow wrote:this simply can't be up to date. a resource guide isn't very practical in todays starport, as colony building varies too much from individual planet to individual planet (opposed to ancient starport varying only between the planet types)

maybe an improvement on the colony calculator?
Well Im so so so sorry omlow that there isn't someone here to wipe your arse while you patrol forums. If you want an updated version - Go make one. -.-

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 am

omlow wrote:starpedia does mention it. indirectly.

it says the heater core raises construction efficiency. more efficient construction means you can have less % of colonists dedicated to construction to achieve the same thing. so you have more % of colonists to be directed elsewhere
no... major can correct me if im wrong, but i think he means that it REDUCES POLLUTION DIRECTLY. otherwise thats like saying that military tradition reduces pollution..

for some dumb reason i didnt see the page two here and edited my old post to add that i remembered that you get a morale bonus for buildings anyway. the morale boost for the building is significant enough to make it worth building. i still dont know about the pollution thing though, i didnt notice that.

Bartimaeus

Post by Bartimaeus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:47 am

omlow wrote:starpedia does mention it. indirectly.

it says the heater core raises construction efficiency. more efficient construction means you can have less % of colonists dedicated to construction to achieve the same thing. so you have more % of colonists to be directed elsewhere
Except you will never end up using this tool because the benefit you get by building it doesn't outweigh benefits elsewhere (for instance colonists on organics harvest).

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Not really.

What about on rebangs?

I tend to do Ref1, then the heather core on Arctics.

Why? Because i can stabalise a 1k pop for days at a time, so Prison Construction, especially if the colony is already stocked for fully building it and has enough consumables to last a week, will allow me to build my colony and a faster pace, without having to spend cash rush building.

I can then use that cash to buy defenses, or to stock another colony, or to rush build something elsewhere.

It is a lot more valuable to those who know how to utilise it correctly.

EDIT: Please do remember that all of these buildings were added in the version of the game that was PRE-PERMAVERSE. I doubt at the time Toonces had even thought about the long term effects it would have in a permament server. And by long term effects, i mean that it has none.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 am

M2-Destroyer wrote:EDIT: Please do remember that all of these buildings were added in the version of the game that was PRE-PERMAVERSE. I doubt at the time Toonces had even thought about the long term effects it would have in a permament server. And by long term effects, i mean that it has none.

"it" ? by your post i assume you mean all special buildings..? or maybe just the arctic in particular? no one has ever said that the special buildings are useless, because they are NOT, lol. they all have a place in perma, and more than just the morale bonus for another building i think.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:45 am

GRAWRG. wrote:
M2-Destroyer wrote:EDIT: Please do remember that all of these buildings were added in the version of the game that was PRE-PERMAVERSE. I doubt at the time Toonces had even thought about the long term effects it would have in a permament server. And by long term effects, i mean that it has none.

"it" ? by your post i assume you mean all special buildings..? or maybe just the arctic in particular? no one has ever said that the special buildings are useless, because they are NOT, lol. they all have a place in perma, and more than just the morale bonus for another building i think.
You're assuming that i meant all of the special buildings - that is not the case.

Ie - Deep Sea Explorer, helps reduce pollution if you research Environment. Not by an awful lot right enough, but it does. Like how it helps increase the chance of a research discovery.

Or what about the Atom Smasher? Building a colony in the system? The Atom Smasher can be a great help if you other cols are out of that particular resource and no ports nearby sell it.

ON TOP OF THAT - All the special buildings give morale bonuses and most, including the two above, have a good use in a permaverse server, but really, what does a Heater Core do once the colony is fully constructed apart from provide a slight morale boost?

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm

i found it to be a significant morale boost. i couldnt tax my zounds until i built it.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:58 pm

GRAWRG. wrote:i found it to be a significant morale boost. i couldnt tax my zounds until i built it.
Then you are obviously doing something wrong then.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:34 am

the point is, with the building i went from 0% tax to 8%. do you even play anywhere m2? who are you in game? 0.o