Planet layouts, and dome placements. (revised)

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Patrikc

Planet layouts, and dome placements. (revised)

Post by Patrikc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 am

I wanted to get other players' opinions on the places I deploy domes, but I noticed the old Layouts thread is outdated, and the pictures have even been removed from Imageshack. So, I've taken the trouble of redoing all the layouts, and I'll explain why I believe that/those placement(s) are the best.

Please, feel free to disagree with me, but don't just say "omg that's a BBQ placement"... Please also give arguements and give hints/tips or 'just' your opinion. :)
Also, if you feel like these pictures are 'teh ugleh' with the coloured dots and all, I'm open for suggestions on how to make them clearer. Layouts #29 and #30 are also open for namechanging.

I'd also like to thank and credit Mua'Dib for his pictures, names for the layouts and, last but definitely not least, his insights that made me the invader (and builder) that I am today. ;)
Also a cookie for Stellar Centauri for making me see the value of Maze of Bigness.

Patrikc

edit 1&2: added info.
edit 3: Noticed I had an upload limit on my pictures. I'll have to find something to upgrade that, or you'll all have to wait a day to see them. :/
More on this later. 8)
edit 4: nvm the last edit, turns out i have an hourly limit of ~4MB, which should be enough to load all the pictures like 10 times. Hope it won't be a problem. :)
Last edited by Patrikc on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Patrikc

Layouts.

Post by Patrikc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:00 am

Deleted layouts for now, as you can also check in with the ones below. Saved the whole code in a document in case I want to re-post them (like if it went Sticky).
Last edited by Patrikc on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Patrikc

Dome Placements.

Post by Patrikc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:01 am

Here follow the dome placements, as I see them best.

Please note 2 things.

1) You might find me saying "Manyshots" a few times. With this I mean colonies that can make at least 5 Solar shots per burst, but most of the time I'll only consider 7 or more shots. Colonies that can make this are Mountains, Rockies and Arctics (these last ones almost only on Classic Homeworlds, though). Colonies with Strip Mining would qualify as Manyshots as well, but seeing you can't predict research, I wouldn't take the risk.

2) You'll see green and yellow dots/lines in a few of the pictures. Green stands for Laser Cannons, while yellow dots represent Cluster Mines.

1. The Winding Road

I don't think there's much to comment on here. Anywhere else would be just silly.

2. The Wheel

This placement is only slightly better than anywhere else, 'cause the invader would need to remove a few more cannons. Other than that there's not many placements that you can go wrong with here, save for the exits of the warp corridors.

3. The Pierced Heart

Ewl. I really don't like this layout. It doesn't matter much where you'll place the dome, but unless you're going to place it right next to the Landing Zone, the invader will need to take out all turrets. The Solar here is pretty useless, only when you place the dome at the top will it do some damage, but rarely enough to pose a threat.

4. Layers

Another layout I'm not too fond of. It's rather easy to invade, however the invader has to make a relatively lot of turns, which is good for multiple Solar shots. The blue spot is quite dangerous with 9/10-shot, though, but it's easily distracted with a second invader. Still not easy to take, I've noticed.

5. 3-way Maze

This is one of the better layouts, in my opinion. No thanks to the Landing Zone, but due to the corridors that pass very close to the dome.
I wouldn't doubt for a second about this placement.

6. Chambers

Not much to say here. Lot of distance for the Solar to fire away, and a lot of cannons in front of dome. Easy choice.

7. Smiley!

This layout is so-so, it has a ring which will kill off most 'newbies' but rings are easy for the experienced invaders. I'd say the only good placement would be at the red space, so that you can cramp that 'corner' with lasers/mines.
Alternatively, as with all Ring-types, you can build the dome into the ring.

8. Curvy Passages

If it's a many-shot, I'd place it at red. Even if it's only an Earthlike I'd probably do that, but I can see why people would place it at blue...

9. Cloverleaf

Only thing against this placement is that it's easily distracted. Otherwise it's pure pwnage. :)

10. More Chambers

Oi, another lame one! Can't go wrong here (or should I say "can't go right"?)
Go for the top placement if it's a manyshot, otherwise I'd go with the red one.

11. Peace Maze

Go for the red one if it's a manyshot, otherwise go for blue.
Not a great layout...

12. Plenty of Room

Hmmm... Manyshots go red, lowshots go blue.
A thing to keep in mind though, is that invaders will be able to warp out from both placements, as the Solar cannon's range won't make the bottom left of this layout.

13. Vulture Head

I'd always go red with Manyshots, but some might also go for blue with those, red is so easily distracted.
Blue is good for building the dome into the ring, though.

14. The Worm

Ah the Worm. I very much like this layout for Manyshots, but with lowshots they're also quite good, because the invader is pretty much forced to use 200-250 nukes on this.

15. The Spiral Maze

Definitely in my top3. If you place the dome correctly, you can fit 2 cannons next to it so those two cannons will distract for the cannons in the corridor.
If you want to make sure you're placing the dome right, bring 2 mines and place them at the corners before placing the dome.

16. Headphones

I myself prefer the red placement, but as this is easily distracted I can also imagine people placing it at blue. It's even a little harder to nuke the last few cannons, and it's harder to go for the dome at full speed.

17. Loops

A recent discovery of mine, red is a VERY nice placement for 7+ Solar shots, simply because they have to pass the Solar cannon real close before even firing a nuke.
Place alot of C-Mines (but I don't recommend more than 50%) in the 1-square-wide corridors for extra fun!
If the colony isn't a Manyshot, however, blue is a better choice. The layout's value decreases significantly in that case, though.

18. Islands

I remember liking this layout in the past, though nowadays, mostly after I learned to 'domeslide' it's lost it's value. Just place the dome at red, and make sure you have C-Mines available. :)

19. Maze of Bigness

Ooooh the Treasure of the Classic Homeworlds... I learned how good this layout is on that server. If the colony can maintain 5 Solar shots or more, place it a red. If you don't, please tell me and I'll come slap you in the face. :P
If it's less than 5, you can still place it there and it's still not bad, but building the dome into the ring (like #13) would be better, I think.

20. Telltale Heart

Meh. Place it at red. Or blue. Nah, just don't build it at all.
Seriously though, red is your best bet, in my opinion.

21. Superwide

The famous Superwide! :)
Red can be very effective, as you can then cramp all the lasers around the Landing Zone, however if you've invaded as much as me, taking out lasers around the dome is easier than stealing candy from NPCs.
That's why I believe either of the blue placements is quite good as well, but -ONLY- do that if it's a Manyshot. I'd go for the left one.

22. Diamond Passages

Oh no, no no no! Only go there if there's no threat in the area, meaning there's noone around with 200 or more nukes. Even if that's the case, I wouldn't keep my Weapons Factory on here.
If I had to choose, I'd pick the bottom-left one, but that could also be because my very first colony (ever) was placed there. :)

23. Long Island

Not my favourite layout, to put it nicely. An upside is that it'll take at least 300 nukes (if you place turrets correctly) but other than that it's an easy layout to invade.
Go for the middle one if you can't choose, or for the left one on Manyshots.

24. Beehive

Not a great layout, but it's a ringtype so what did you expect?
Go for red, no question asked.

25. Antennae

Go for blue if it's a low Solar colony, otherwise consider taking red.

26. Diamond Maze

See #22, Diamond Passages.

27. Three Way

This one I like. Not too much, just a little.
It's very good that the Solar is shooting at point blank right away. In other words, can't go wrong with red.

28. Coral Island

Don't like this one much either... Go for blue, or build it into the ring....

29. Shrimp

I almost always go for red, but if it's a Manyshot, consider blue as well, as it puts more distance between the Landing Zone and the dome.

30. EerieBear

Uhm, where to place the dome here... Downleft uses alot of nukes, as does downright. And the top3 are pretty much the same.
I'd go for the top one or the downright one with Manyshots, and for the rest; that's up to you.

DONE! for now, at least... I'ma go walk my dogs and get some sleep.. Read ya later! :)
Last edited by Patrikc on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:23 am

Heyyyy! Mad props for redoing this, it was in need! :D

I generally agree with everything.. I'll leave it to better invaders than me to dissect :)

Nice job, and good form giving Mua'Dib credit where credit is due :)

Patrikc

Post by Patrikc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:27 am

Ty Megaman. ;)

I was thinking the same about it needing to be redone. And with all the respect for Mua, if people find this thread good enough, I'd like to see it replace the old one, including it getting stickied. But lets not rush into that just yet. :)

Also, this is supposed to be 100% newbie-friendly, so if you find anything you don't understand, don't feel shy and just ask. :P I'll change it in the 'guide'.

Pat

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:45 pm

You should integrate your updates into the Wiki article:

http://www.starportgame.com/wiki/index. ... et_Layouts

Be sure to look at the discussion page too.

ComradeKev

Post by ComradeKev » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:05 pm

I agree with the update the wiki page idea. I just gave the last two layouts names that struck me (PacMan and X-isle), but they can obviously be changed. I'd suggest marking the maps with numeric locations (ala the old thread and the wiki), that way you can reference them specifically without having to have a dozen colored dots on the maps.

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:06 pm

If someone's going to edit the pictures again anyway, mark size of the landing zones too.

Patrikc

Post by Patrikc » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Sorry, I'm completely exhausted at the moment. I'll reply to your posts, and do some more work, after a good night's sleep. :) 'Night

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:57 pm

What with Mua'Dib's thread being out of date and it's images no longer working, I vote this one gets a sticky

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 am

I don't agree with some of them... not too many but I will start with these two for now
Red being the ones that I would prefer, blue being ones that can cause me difficulty, and green are ones that I see very often that are basically a walk-through
19- Maze of Bigness
3 and 4 on here I was torn between blue and green because depending on their solar settings and all they can be difficult but are often pretty easy...

28 Coral Island

The blue on this one is really pretty easy actually, but its the most difficult next to the red one so I made it blue.

OpsO

Post by OpsO » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 am

I dont understand how the red on Jwilson6's coral island is any good. The same is true of the other dome positions near the entry point such as the beehive.

Can some one explain please.

Thanks,

OpsO

Patrikc

Post by Patrikc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:48 pm

OpsO wrote:I dont understand how the red on Jwilson6's coral island is any good. The same is true of the other dome positions near the entry point such as the beehive.

Thanks,

OpsO
I don't see the dome placement on Beehive as good, I see it as the "least bad"...
Some layouts are just hopeless, so you'll have to make the best of it. Like by building it into the landingzone's defences

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:38 pm

OpsO wrote:I dont understand how the red on Jwilson6's coral island is any good. The same is true of the other dome positions near the entry point such as the beehive.

Thanks,

OpsO
The basic point of positions near the entry on these planets is to allow for optimum lazer coverage. Typically you want to defend two spots on a planet. The landing zone (LZ) and the dome. If you defend only the dome it will be vulnerable to vultures and nukers. If you defend only the lz it will be extremely vulnerable to sliders. You must find a balance between the two. On ring-type planets and superwides the defense of the lz takes quite a lot of lazers leaving very few to defend the dome. Thus you move the dome closer to the lz so that the lazers at the lz can protect the dome as well. This also allows for very good solar coverage of the landing zone which will blast away most newby invaders.
Here is an example. I've colored in where the lazers will typically be on this colony (magenta).

Yellow will be your best plan of attack as you have to go back that far to turn the lazers off. When you come to nuke you will have two choices.

Fly up real close under fire by lazers from the lz and lazers at the dome, as well as the solar cannon. nuke at the dome, you will undoubtedly have some nukes get stuck or turn around and hit the lz. Then you come in dodging lazer fire and the solar cannon, make a corner cap and take it. Add in some cmines and you will have to go back and do it again, taking some shield losses (the only point on that planet that allows for optimum lazer coverage)
This is the way most people will use because it will take out the least amount of lazers and is the fastest.

Or, a newer invader would have to nuke out any of the three walls (except for the one under the dome because they won't be able to get onto the planets surface without taking hits from the lazers at the dome, the solar cannon. And the top left side.
Then they will have to nuke out the top right lazer wall and then the lazers at the dome, all the while dodging the solar.

If you would like I could tell you the advantages and disadvantages of the other spots. Or if you don't understand my description I could see if I can find a similar layout and provide a video (that could take a while though)

OpsO

Post by OpsO » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:45 am

Thanks for the explanation Jwilson.

The positioning of the dome makes some sense now.

For the attack, I take it the idea is to slide past the initial lazer wall to get in to position to launch nukes where only the solar is a threat. Then go for the cap once the way is open.

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:11 pm

Now we just need the new layouts posted from the new Big Bang.

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:52 am

Which I have started to do, check it out

http://starportgame.com/sgeforum/viewtopic.php?t=12161