solar: does it use extra ore

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

asjandu14

solar: does it use extra ore

Post by asjandu14 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:24 am

now i've had mixed answers on this and im lookin to find out the right one. does the solar use extra ore every time it shoots? please only answer if u know for sure. :D

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:25 am

Solar uses ore every hour.

Never heard of it using more otherwise I would totally hang around on cols to wear it down. ;)

Pabsty

Post by Pabsty » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:58 pm

MuTAnT wrote:Solar uses ore every hour.

Never heard of it using more otherwise I would totally hang around on cols to wear it down. ;)
On colonies that have no ore and the ore use by the solar is negative, the solar will still shoot every 10 or 15 minutes for a small length of time. If someone has the data on this, i think we'd all like to see it. Maybe i'll take a little while and do it myself.

I just know i have been invading colonies where the solar is out of ore and not shooting, only to have it turn on for a couple of minutes, then shut off again. Happens a lot.

The ore gets used every time the resources like meds and orgs get used. Anyone have the time on that?

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:22 pm

All resources are reset every 15 minutes with either extra if they are producing or less if they are consuming.

A solar cannon will consume 1/4 of its hourly use every 15 minutes and no matter how much it fires it will consume the same amount. If it uses up all of the metal ore (its production is negative) then it will stop firing. The solar will stop consuming and it will generate more resources at whatever rate it would at no solar. Then when it gets enough resources to fire the cannon again the solar will come back on and it will continue firing.

Now im not sure if its enough to fire it for 15 minutes (1/4th of its hourly consumption) which would make it fire for 15 minutes only, then shut off.
Or (which I think is more likely) it will wait until it gets enough to fire it for 1 hour and then fire for a full hour before it stops and shuts off to regenerate ore again.

Turkey I think explained this once but I didn't understand what he said I think I said It better.

CaptKirk

Post by CaptKirk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:42 am

Jwilson6 wrote:All resources are reset every 15 minutes with either extra if they are producing or less if they are consuming.

A solar cannon will consume 1/4 of its hourly use every 15 minutes and no matter how much it fires it will consume the same amount. If it uses up all of the metal ore (its production is negative) then it will stop firing. The solar will stop consuming and it will generate more resources at whatever rate it would at no solar. Then when it gets enough resources to fire the cannon again the solar will come back on and it will continue firing.
Consumption, production, population change, etc are revised every 5 minutes.
Jwilson6 wrote: Now im not sure if its enough to fire it for 15 minutes (1/4th of its hourly consumption) which would make it fire for 15 minutes only, then shut off.
Or (which I think is more likely) it will wait until it gets enough to fire it for 1 hour and then fire for a full hour before it stops and shuts off to regenerate ore again.
No, I've had solars reactivate and fire for 5 minutes, then shut down again.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:19 am

CaptKirk wrote:
Jwilson6 wrote:All resources are reset every 15 minutes with either extra if they are producing or less if they are consuming.

Jwilson6 wrote: Now im not sure if its enough to fire it for 15 minutes (1/4th of its hourly consumption) which would make it fire for 15 minutes only, then shut off.
Confirmed; I found a planet today that would have an active solar for 5 minutes, then shut off for 5 minutes, then reactivate for 5 minutes etc

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:31 pm

MegaMan wrote:
CaptKirk wrote:

Confirmed; I found a planet today that would have an active solar for 5 minutes, then shut off for 5 minutes, then reactivate for 5 minutes etc
the solar works the same way as you pop bonus's
5 on, 5 off.

The real Hellbent

Post by The real Hellbent » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:52 am

The solar consumes metal every 5 mins, If the metal production is in neg numbers it will fire only when it has enough to get the solar bonus in 5 intervals.

i.e if you have a colony that is only making 1 unit of metal ore per hour and it is set to a 1 shot the solar will fire for 5 mins every 2 hours and 5 mins

if it is making 12.5 units of metal ore per hour it will fire every other 5 mins (or on for 5 mins off for 5 mins)

if you have a planet that can fire a 5 shot 100% of the time you can set it to a 10 shot and it will fire 50% of the time