Planet max

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Northstar

Planet max

Post by Northstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:47 pm

What is the max number of people you should have on a planet?

What is the most you have had on a planet and what happens when there are too many?

Are there suggested planet population maximums for different planet types?

I understand about pollution and all, and I assume that would be the only reason you would only want so many people on a planet.

I have a mountain planet with about 10k people that is getting almost 10% pollution a day, so I changed the settings to research environment and keep the pollution down. Are there better strategies for keeping pollution down? Maybe taxing real high so you get money to clean it more often?

hi

Re: Planet max

Post by hi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm

Northstar wrote:What is the max number of people you should have on a planet?

What is the most you have had on a planet and what happens when there are too many?

Are there suggested planet population maximums for different planet types?

I understand about pollution and all, and I assume that would be the only reason you would only want so many people on a planet.

I have a mountain planet with about 10k people that is getting almost 10% pollution a day, so I changed the settings to research environment and keep the pollution down. Are there better strategies for keeping pollution down? Maybe taxing real high so you get money to clean it more often?
well, i havent really seriously played on a server i dont have alot of cols on, and when i have alot of cols, i keep pop at 5k on all of them to make cleaning easier...

petertje

Re: Planet max

Post by petertje » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Northstar wrote:What is the max number of people you should have on a planet?
On perma's it's mostly advisable to have 5k population per planet. Excluding volcanics and earth, volcanics won't be able to hold 5k and that much pop will kill them where earths can hold alot more and don't have high pollution.

Northstar wrote: What is the most you have had on a planet and what happens when there are too many?
I had half of my empire on 23-25k in boundless sea. It was during the time the '25k patch' was just out and we didn't know the cols would consume that much resources, the colonys all went revolting very fast because of the big bad moral drops that are caused by having too much population.

After that 18k has been my highest one, earth on a rebang with great researches. But in perma's it takes too much time to bring resources and it creates too much pollution to go for this. Try to balance them at 10k top.
Northstar wrote: Are there suggested planet population maximums for different planet types?
Yes, volcanic you can consider yourself lucky if you get it to 2k. Rocky without researches and 100% harvest is around 4-5k, as is the greenhouse. Artics, oceanics and earths can grow until 15k if you work hard for it but it's best to not do that outside of rebangs. Deserts i woudn't know and mountainous really depends on the researches you get.
Northstar wrote: I understand about pollution and all, and I assume that would be the only reason you would only want so many people on a planet.

Less people means less pollution. If you tax the col it will make less people per hour. So if a col would be stable (not gaining or losing any people) at 10k, tax it a bit and it might turn stable at 6k causing you to get less pollution and more money.

But mostly people just don't build the biodome level 3 so it can't get higher than 5k and they then just tax as much as they can.

CaptKirk

Post by CaptKirk » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:46 am

Another factor people often forget is charisma. Settings that work for one guy keeping a planet stable at 8k population, for instance, might only keep the planet stable at 6k pop for someone else because of different charisma.

Zenn

Post by Zenn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:48 am

Personally, Artics, deserts, volcanics, GH's, and rockies never go usually go past bio lvl 3 unless, it has good research to make it able to sustain 5-10k pop max, or unless I need it to get to about 10k or so bcuz of weapons production research in either nukes or lasers. But mostly I'd keep them at 5k pop.

Mountain types I always get them to bio lvel 3 and try to stablize the pop at 10k or less and I make sure that the colony can make at least 50k per hour so it can make 1mil per day so pay for the pollution. If you play with the tax rate and get rid of the organics from the refinery u might be able to stablize it at 8-10k depending on the research.