Pollution

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Should Pollution be done away with once and for all, be modified or stay the same?

Should Pollution be done away with once and for all?
45%
Should another way of dealing with Pollution be found?
40%
Should Pollution stay the way it is?
15%

Total votes: 47

Merlin

Pollution

Post by Merlin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:37 pm

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been asked, but it seems to me that Pollution is a real problem for a lot of people, and is also a large part of why people are getting disenchanted with the game and the gross time commitment required when you Empire gets large enough. I get the concept of pollution, but this is also a game that is set in the future and you would think people would have come up with ways to deal with it...

If pollution absolutly NEEDS to stay, at least have it so that biodomes can clean themselves with cash reserves so we only need to clean those planest not being taxed or not taxing enough...

Please no flamming...this is a legitimate request/poll and it concerns everyone new and old...I want more fun and less micromanagement...if the colonists can collect their own resources and research their own tech...i think they can also clean up after themselves.

After all, the less boring the game is (i.e. pollution cleaning), the more people will stay, the more people will stay, the more they will want to "invest" in this great game...the more people "invest" ...the happier the developers should be...

Respectfully,

Fleet Admiral Merlin

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Lol, remove pollution in completely.

fireblade211

Post by fireblade211 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:29 pm

theres already a way to clean planets

end of topic

MrBunny

Post by MrBunny » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:50 pm

I say remove it. Just tedious col maintenance that takes away from the actual game play itself. In many ways it is a factor in server stagnation.

Or if not remove it fully, make it so we can clean the cols using the holdings list. Go through each col and hit clean or maybe even a clean all option that will clean all the pollution if the colonies have the creds on hand to clean it. This would at least reduce some of the time required.

As much as I would like to see it removed or changed, I doubt we ever will.

duece

Post by duece » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 pm

This has been requested so many times, and toonces has said it wont happen. But maybe after the research patch some kind of compromise can be made. Now cash is a real problem with colonies and getting a set up where you're able to afford to clean pollution is harder, maybe the idea has new merit. Also considering a lot of colonies only produce cash through commodities marker, you will always have to make rounds for maintainance. But any chance of this happening will depend on more than the conventional arguments.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:07 pm

/Deja Vu

Nightmare

Gloin

Post by Gloin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Some colonies can get up to 14 pollution a day.. I think pollution should be lowered atleast in half or taken out..

GreenPeaSuit

Post by GreenPeaSuit » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:04 pm

I voted for another way to deal with it... however, by that I actually mean it should just be drastically reduced.

Pollution was added to do two things... 1) keep colonies from running indefinately without someone tending them.... used to be you had uber sized empires owned by players who almost NEVER logged in. 2) force players to spend more fuel... fuel use = potential need for tokens to help fund this game. For this second reason, it'll never be done away with, nor do I feel it should be. I think those who play this game heavily SHOULD help support it... those who are just here in a less bandwidth eating manner shouldn't have to.

However, those who excel at invading shouldn't have to turn into maids tending their colonies every other day just to keep them alive instead of doing what they love, and came to do... invade, or risk losing what they worked so hard to achieve.

Pollution needs to be backed off a LOT! And I don't mean while decreasing the profitability of the colonies.

Starwynd

Post by Starwynd » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 pm

ahahahaha

Whatever should or shouldn't be done, it doesn't matter. Toonces hit with the pollution, thousands upon thousands of worlds all over the game died from it. He didn't change it then.

I know of more than a few token buyers who quit/left the game after that, and had no effect. There have been hundreds of "Hey get rid of pollution"

you are going to get two outcomes

1) the same "toonces knows where the games going and is going to leave it the way it is" response
2) he actually changes something to spite the naysayers

Manganator

Post by Manganator » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:17 pm

Or perhaps we have something called the "Hardcore server" which is a year long rebang, and no pollution.

I believe Gen had a ridiculoulsy one sided vote where about 95% of people wanted to get rid of pollution altogether, which was completely ignored....

but if we requested that Toonces "Create" a "Hardcore rebang" rather than modify his precious permaverses, we could get something done.

What do you all think?

Wound.

Post by Wound. » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:09 am

maybe a new reasearch can be implemented that allows the cols to clean themselves given of course they have enough cash in the planets trasury to do so. im not sure how lvls 1-5 would work on this though :?

Manganator

Post by Manganator » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:11 am

Wound. wrote:maybe a new reasearch can be implemented that allows the cols to clean themselves given of course they have enough cash in the planets trasury to do so. im not sure how lvls 1-5 would work on this though :?
and how long would you need to wait for this magical research?

What if it never comes?

Starwynd

Post by Starwynd » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:19 am

toonces knows what he's doing and has reasons for pollution

Crosseyed

Post by Crosseyed » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:05 pm

A neat and tidy summary of "For every action, there is an equal but opposite overreaction."

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:50 pm

I appreciate everyone's input, but I have to say I was hoping for more than 21 votes...i still believe in democracy. I think if there is a SIGNIFICANT...100s of people...demand for something...he may listen. Please Vote!

Merlin

rojo

Post by rojo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:52 pm

Who actually cleans pollution?

I say stick it to the man and let em rot. If they die, invade your neighbor. Empires are for the stupid anyway. Don't mess around with the crappy aspects of SGE just fight, invade and have fun.

Just your own personal way of stickin it to the man.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:59 pm

As someone whose been part of and lost a big donkey empire. Meh it was holding me down. Its boring protecting it and so on. Not just the cleaning

Solution that i have found is perma-hopping only way the gameplay has become close to i remember it.

I think we should worry more about the huge amount of permas that exist there. The division of plater base is the worst thing in the game.

I'm not here to rant as i still play the game. Neither do i care about the changes does, since its his duty as a developer to change the game as he sees it. Again i say these changes would be good if there was a larger player base and less planets/server to colonize. I think servers should be retired due to the fact that they are part of the old system of gameplay.

spartan.

Post by spartan. » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:14 am

avitohol wrote:As someone whose been part of and lost a big donkey empire. Meh it was holding me down. Its boring protecting it and so on. Not just the cleaning

Solution that i have found is perma-hopping only way the gameplay has become close to i remember it.

I think we should worry more about the huge amount of permas that exist there. The division of plater base is the worst thing in the game.

I'm not here to rant as i still play the game. Neither do i care about the changes does, since its his duty as a developer to change the game as he sees it. Again i say these changes would be good if there was a larger player base and less planets/server to colonize. I think servers should be retired due to the fact that they are part of the old system of gameplay.
you see this is avito sober and weed free

do we really want this thing roaming the forums of sge in thsi condition???

please donate to the weed up avito fund :D

-spartan.

rojo

Post by rojo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:45 am

avitohol wrote:As someone whose been part of and lost a big donkey empire. Meh it was holding me down. Its boring protecting it and so on. Not just the cleaning

Aye, I was the same way...Pre-BM'ing P1 I basically only played there, but soon discovered the wonders of jumping perma's. Join a new perma, slide a crappy colony (which are a dime a dozen post research/colony patches) then just keep expanding from there. I'm a firm believer that the most fun part of the game is the creation of empires, not the maintenance of them. Invade a bunch, play with people you don't play with that often and then hand it over to whoever wants the colonies.

Manganator

Post by Manganator » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:16 am

How many players will be able to sustain empires in this? I wonder how long they will last.

PhantoMuse

Post by PhantoMuse » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:54 am

after reading through this i think i got an ok idea. instead of patching all the perms to remain the same maybe toonces could create servers that dont get the new patches and keep their old flaws. that way it could make almost everyone happy. people who like the old ways could just go to a perm server with no pullotion..or somthing like that. and for the people who like it how it is can join one of the current servers..

this may have been sugested before. but if not i think it may be a good start for some new stuff and old stuff, that could once again revive and stregthen starport better than ever..or atleast a step closer.

JesusRocks765

Re: Pollution

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:19 pm

It's a longshot, but how about Reducing Pollution to balance colonies out ofter the 75ore patch? :D

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:45 pm

JesusRocks765 wrote:It's a longshot, but how about Reducing Pollution to balance colonies out ofter the 75ore patch? :D
yes

NightgraderP6

Post by NightgraderP6 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:14 am

Pollution is not that hard to deal with. Even with the 75 ore patch. I have over 300 cols with no pollution, that still do well in all aspects of a col. I think the bigger problem here is that some players do not know how to set up a col. The only thing I have a problem with now is that i have fewer mad cash cols. But any one has has played with me, know that i give away millions of credits every week. So leave it alone.

Nightgrader

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:10 am

This is a very old post lol /classic

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Re:

Post by CrazyChef » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:43 am

rojo wrote:Who actually cleans pollution?

I say stick it to the man and let em rot. If they die, invade your neighbor. Empires are for the stupid anyway. Don't mess around with the crappy aspects of SGE just fight, invade and have fun.

Just your own personal way of stickin it to the man.
QFT
Hey bud, long time no see

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:12 pm

This post is from 07 if it isn't gone by now it isn't gonna be and it shouldn't be no reason to cry about it now.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 am

Cloud1 wrote:
NightgraderP6 wrote:Pollution is not that hard to deal with. Even with the 75 ore patch. I have over 300 cols with no pollution, that still do well in all aspects of a col. I think the bigger problem here is that some players do not know how to set up a col. The only thing I have a problem with now is that i have fewer mad cash cols. But any one has has played with me, know that i give away millions of credits every week. So leave it alone.

Nightgrader

I bet most of those 300 cols are weak as hell.
they are. before the patch they werent even hard

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:13 am

is it that unreasonable to at least Reduce pollution?

I mean, the whole point of pullution is to Wipe out players who quit, with reduced Pollution, that will still happen, but it will also help every col FOR PEOPLE WHO PLAY. :D