All once upon a time players, what's changed in your life?

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Dark.Cloud

All once upon a time players, what's changed in your life?

Post by Dark.Cloud » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:46 am

Hey guys, doing my bi-annual drive by. Just wondering. What was everyone doing when they started and what are they doing now?

Then
I was a high schooler in 2007/2008 when I started

Now
I'm a software engineer, about to turn thirty and getting married!

Gloin

Re: All once upon a time players, what's changed in your life?

Post by Gloin » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:24 am

Then
I was 13 years old back in 2006 when I first played SGE

Now
I work for a government owned railway at 28 years old

I usually play for a few months and then take a break and come back 6 months later or so

Nice to see you on here Dark.Cloud it's been quite awhile since we've corped up and invaded together :D

Darkmaster743

Post by Darkmaster743 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:53 pm

Then:
Joined in about 2009-2010 so I was around 10 years old in fifth grade, never really achieved much in the game but I played a lot on the golden age and had some nice colonies and in game homies.

Now:
I'm 22 now just graduated college, getting ready for grad school, I try to check in bi-annually and play for a week before quitting again lol. I remember the first time my dad bought me an IGS with admiral tokens and I was acting like I had won the lottery... good times. Someone should set up a discord though, if I haven't heard of one by next month I'll set it up

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:34 am

Darkmaster743 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:53 pm
Then:
Joined in about 2009-2010 so I was around 10 years old in fifth grade, never really achieved much in the game but I played a lot on the golden age and had some nice colonies and in game homies.

Now:
I'm 22 now just graduated college, getting ready for grad school, I try to check in bi-annually and play for a week before quitting again lol. I remember the first time my dad bought me an IGS with admiral tokens and I was acting like I had won the lottery... good times. Someone should set up a discord though, if I haven't heard of one by next month I'll set it up
SGE Discord Link

https://discord.gg/2jF4qkvw

WhAcKeD

Post by WhAcKeD » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:37 pm

This is a really cool post. I remember seeing the name Dark.Cloud all over the place. My username was often Whack, and back when I started SGE I was in middle school in like 2008/2009. Now, I'm 25, also a Software Engineer and still love gaming, but I miss that era of my life where you felt like you had unlimited time to play! I often check back to see if Toonces and co had created Starport 2, which I would consider playing, but it never happens!

Caia

Post by Caia » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:44 am

Not a thing. I invented time travel and am here from the year 2006. Man, you guys screwed everything up pretty good, didn't you?

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:11 pm

Caia wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:44 am
Not a thing. I invented time travel and am here from the year 2006. Man, you guys screwed everything up pretty good, didn't you?
This made me chuckle.

I'm a much more self-actualized person with more in depth understanding of who I am and my place in the world.
And somehow ended up just a more refined and skilled cynical a-hole.

space88blue

Post by space88blue » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:19 am

I once worked at McDonalds, then Salisbury House a local burger joint but with waiters and servers etc then a telemarketing company I had a failed gallbladder then at the same time 2 ingrown toenails had to get surgeries for 5 plus years until I got them killed and removed. Then I got hit with depression and anxiety then I got diagnosed with Schizophrenia in 2016 I have had 3 hospital stays, 1st i spent 3 days in ICU with all 7 types of drugs they could test in my system somehow i got drugged while smoking the ganja before it was legal i smoked 3 months fine btw then in the hospital I spent 3 months after my 3-day ICU stay then in 2016 i had stopped taking my meds cuz I thought angels or demons were telling me I was about to die and it wasn't far off from the truth cuz some of the pills were powerful nerve pills like clonazepam i got off some meds went on different ones I made impressions by tapering myself off semi safely but negative impressions since I should only do med changes with doctors supervision I got in huge trouble but had some grace and then in 2012 before I turned away from God in 2013 I went back to work for 2 weeks but had my small bladder overactive issues.

Now I have diabetes type 2 and take medication for it to balance blood sugar levels and I'm supposed to be monitoring but need to visit the drug store to learn how to fix the machine and haven't had spare time yet due to other issues that need to catch up with dentistry I also have a hole in my septum (nose divider) and it is deviated (off center) and no one can fix it in my country Canada and even the experimental tech in the USA might have issues but I clear my nose every few hours and can sleep in certain windows of time and wake up to use the bathroom clear the nose again etc series of blow and let dry etc healing is fast but not fast enough.

I have my own apartment now and my mom is suffering right now with a medical condition and should survive I hope and yeah I played this game while angry and frustrated with the divorce of my parents and the loss of my 1st love and now I live off government assistance and help from my family. It's been a long fall down the rabbit hole. I have like 15-16 disabilities and I am still overweight but way more than I used to be and trying to stay healthy if I can not lose the weight properly my lifestyle is fairly sedentary and while exercising at the hospital my last 3 week stay with 6 days prior to that in an assessment facility.

I have written 2 books that have not sold much and I am dreaming of being a famous writer one day I write about the impact others have made on my life and the impact I have made on others and my spiritual teachings etc I call it "The Webrunner" and "The Diamond Webruner" and am working intermittently and slowly on the 3rd book. I am infinitely blessed with my own apartment.

So yeah Schizophrenia, bad nose etc government assistance and obesity are still challenging for me I'm writing slowly reading absorbing as much as I can given my meds make me lethargic sleepy and all the avolition too.

I'm into Christian Music and Rock like Skillet etc Beckah Shae etc I have like under 1400 liked songs on Spotify over the years with some disappearing etc.

Thanks for reading the whole TLDR for those that care :) God bless.
-Relentless/Blue
+Gunboat

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:40 pm

space88blue wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:19 am
I once worked at McDonalds, then Salisbury House a local burger joint but with waiters and servers etc then a telemarketing company I had a failed gallbladder then at the same time 2 ingrown toenails had to get surgeries for 5 plus years until I got them killed and removed. Then I got hit with depression and anxiety then I got diagnosed with Schizophrenia in 2016 I have had 3 hospital stays, 1st i spent 3 days in ICU with all 7 types of drugs they could test in my system somehow i got drugged while smoking the ganja before it was legal i smoked 3 months fine btw then in the hospital I spent 3 months after my 3-day ICU stay then in 2016 i had stopped taking my meds cuz I thought angels or demons were telling me I was about to die and it wasn't far off from the truth cuz some of the pills were powerful nerve pills like clonazepam i got off some meds went on different ones I made impressions by tapering myself off semi safely but negative impressions since I should only do med changes with doctors supervision I got in huge trouble but had some grace and then in 2012 before I turned away from God in 2013 I went back to work for 2 weeks but had my small bladder overactive issues.

Now I have diabetes type 2 and take medication for it to balance blood sugar levels and I'm supposed to be monitoring but need to visit the drug store to learn how to fix the machine and haven't had spare time yet due to other issues that need to catch up with dentistry I also have a hole in my septum (nose divider) and it is deviated (off center) and no one can fix it in my country Canada and even the experimental tech in the USA might have issues but I clear my nose every few hours and can sleep in certain windows of time and wake up to use the bathroom clear the nose again etc series of blow and let dry etc healing is fast but not fast enough.

I have my own apartment now and my mom is suffering right now with a medical condition and should survive I hope and yeah I played this game while angry and frustrated with the divorce of my parents and the loss of my 1st love and now I live off government assistance and help from my family. It's been a long fall down the rabbit hole. I have like 15-16 disabilities and I am still overweight but way more than I used to be and trying to stay healthy if I can not lose the weight properly my lifestyle is fairly sedentary and while exercising at the hospital my last 3 week stay with 6 days prior to that in an assessment facility.

I have written 2 books that have not sold much and I am dreaming of being a famous writer one day I write about the impact others have made on my life and the impact I have made on others and my spiritual teachings etc I call it "The Webrunner" and "The Diamond Webruner" and am working intermittently and slowly on the 3rd book. I am infinitely blessed with my own apartment.

So yeah Schizophrenia, bad nose etc government assistance and obesity are still challenging for me I'm writing slowly reading absorbing as much as I can given my meds make me lethargic sleepy and all the avolition too.

I'm into Christian Music and Rock like Skillet etc Beckah Shae etc I have like under 1400 liked songs on Spotify over the years with some disappearing etc.

-Relentless/Blue
+Gunboat
/hug Relentless

Nertanef

Post by Nertanef » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:18 pm

I can't really recall what the year was but I think it was 2006-2007.

I was 19-20 and just going to school and working at Starbucks.

I'm now 35 and work for a startup SEO company.
We just landed a 200k a year client, our biggest yet.

Relentless, I'm sorry to hear that man. I always had fun playing with you and I hope things get better for you and your family.

edit: looking at the date I joined I apparently played when I was 18 - 2005. Holy BBQ time flies.

space88blue

Post by space88blue » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:16 am

Thanks Madace and Nertanef glad to hear others are having a better time and thanks Madace my old nemesis hehe I was so hard on ya lol now you know sorta why and how lol. :twisted:

bigT

Post by bigT » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:37 pm

space88blue wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:19 am

-Relentless/Blue
+Gunboat
/salute Relentless

Trying not to think about how long ago 2005 was (according to the forum thats when I joined but think I played the game for a while first before joining the forum), feels like it just a few years ago haha.

15 then, 32 now. Living the grown up life with a proper job and stupid grown up responsibilities haha. Good times though, good times

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:16 pm

Wow. Haven’t thought about Starport for years, lots of good times spent here back when I had plenty of time to spare!

Life, children, work and responsibilities have happened in the meantime. All good but sometimes miss the simple starport days! :mrgreen:

Hope all good with everyone, /wave to all my old corpmates

lagkill

Post by lagkill » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:48 pm

Yo space88blue aka relentless,

If you cut out the carbs from your diet the diabetes type 2 should get a whole lot better.

Especially the fast carbs, sugars and bread type stuff. Try slow carbs like oatmeal.
A food budget on assistance and avoiding carbs is rough. People do it though. Look it up.
Might lose a few pounds but it is no sure thing on the weight issue.

I have seen co workers pass out from diabetes type 2. It is dangerous.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:34 am

I was a homeless unemployed couch surfer when i started back in the day and listened to alex jones conspiracy BBQ while i played. He was always ranting about the government creating bioweapons to administer through forced inoculations, martial law lockdowns, vaccine side effects, big tech censorship bias, etc. wild just how right he was about everything huh?

Now i (somehow) have a security clearance, get paid 50+ dollars an hour to play my phone all night, and own a 20 acre prepper's paradise homestead. My reinforced concrete bunker bedroom is perfect for the night shift worker that raises chickens.

dahaka

Post by dahaka » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:38 pm

Been over a decade but the great Dahaka is here. Creator of the pictures page and a champion of many campaigns.

Great to see this place still somewhat alive.

I salute you to keeping it alive.

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:54 am

Times change but SGE is eternal :lol:

space88blue

Post by space88blue » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:27 pm

someone forced me to smoke about 7-8 grams of weed of 2 types allegedly and then it did not agree with my diabetes or asthma I went to the hospital 2 days later after all the death threats and situation. I tried to say no but they kept screaming and threatening me. The thing is they apologized and I accept that apology but I am so emotionally distraught that I can not let them back in my life anymore considering they were a neighbour and lived in my building they claimed to know about this game which is why I post it here just a warning to be vigilant in your life and not give out personal details unless you feel you can trust them back in the day I used to give my address out because I was so angry and stuff kinda weird anyway I don't live there not for many years but this person I bumped into lived inside the building I lived in and somehow we crossed paths but I do not know because of memory lapses whether it was them or not all I know is I used to make a lot of jokes on lots of subjects. I was bold when I was younger still am but you know I feel like giving up sometimes and you know the Relentless name it reminds me of better times I used to have and it helps me get over some of my desire to quit it gives me hope and although I had enemies I knew it was just a game I was honoured to play with everyone I knew that anyone could be good if they so chose but I just wanted it more sometimes and I thank you BigT for the Salute Madace for the hugs and lagkill for the carb cutting tip thing is the hospital has the perfect diet and im thinking of going back to a group home so I have more time to write and listen to music and exercise I really want to do some exercise even if my blood sugar bounces low a bit.

Still thinking of going to a group home again due to food addiction issues and yeah im hoping to play spge again when Im more emotionally and mentally ready to but I have no friends on spge anymore so its kinda awkward when people want to put you down or prevent your growth but you know even that can be overcome one day with a little hope I did try to come back a year ago I think but without anger fueling me I have little steam to play I miss ya'll :) Ya'll are unique and awesome even the new players entertained me greatly and sometimes good things happen out of meeting new people of all types.
Genesis wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:54 am
Yep :)

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:49 pm

Was feeling nostalgic and found my old account again. A lot's changed for me. When I started in 2005 I was 15 and in high school. Since then I've obviously left into the workforce, worked in retail for a few years, bought my own home (little shoe box but it's pretty sweet) and now just started a new role as an Operational Support Engineer. A fancy title for resolving tickets my team raise when stuff catches fire that shouldn't.

Part of me misses the days I could chill and play games for hours but I still try to find the time when I can!
space88blue wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:27 pm
someone forced me to smoke about 7-8 grams of weed of 2 types allegedly and then it did not agree with my diabetes or asthma I went to the hospital 2 days later after all the death threats and situation. I tried to say no but they kept screaming and threatening me. The thing is they apologized and I accept that apology but I am so emotionally distraught that I can not let them back in my life anymore considering they were a neighbour and lived in my building they claimed to know about this game which is why I post it here just a warning to be vigilant in your life and not give out personal details unless you feel you can trust them back in the day I used to give my address out because I was so angry and stuff kinda weird anyway I don't live there not for many years but this person I bumped into lived inside the building I lived in and somehow we crossed paths but I do not know because of memory lapses whether it was them or not all I know is I used to make a lot of jokes on lots of subjects. I was bold when I was younger still am but you know I feel like giving up sometimes and you know the Relentless name it reminds me of better times I used to have and it helps me get over some of my desire to quit it gives me hope and although I had enemies I knew it was just a game I was honoured to play with everyone I knew that anyone could be good if they so chose but I just wanted it more sometimes and I thank you BigT for the Salute Madace for the hugs and lagkill for the carb cutting tip thing is the hospital has the perfect diet and im thinking of going back to a group home so I have more time to write and listen to music and exercise I really want to do some exercise even if my blood sugar bounces low a bit.

Still thinking of going to a group home again due to food addiction issues and yeah im hoping to play spge again when Im more emotionally and mentally ready to but I have no friends on spge anymore so its kinda awkward when people want to put you down or prevent your growth but you know even that can be overcome one day with a little hope I did try to come back a year ago I think but without anger fueling me I have little steam to play I miss ya'll :) Ya'll are unique and awesome even the new players entertained me greatly and sometimes good things happen out of meeting new people of all types.
Genesis wrote:
I hope things are looking a little better since then Relentless! We never played much together I think but I remember you.

space88blue

Post by space88blue » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:23 pm

Thanks, Mutant hope you still trucking not sure what your name was in the game but I have since recovered from DUAL HEART FAILURE a miracle for sure :) 8) I was just in a hospital for 3 weeks due to infectious leg and memory issues with mental health 'they' decided in their infinite wisdom I needed more meds which I probably needed after going on a med reduction to test things out added a third med to my repertoire and I had a neighbor with Covid19 and it was tough staying well then in psych ward for another 2 weeks was nice for a while. Hopefully everyone doing amazing :) I'm surviving :D
MuTAnT wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:49 pm
Was feeling nostalgic and found my old account again. A lot's changed for me. When I started in 2005 I was 15 and in high school. Since then I've obviously left into the workforce, worked in retail for a few years, bought my own home (little shoe box but it's pretty sweet) and now just started a new role as an Operational Support Engineer. A fancy title for resolving tickets my team raise when stuff catches fire that shouldn't.

Part of me misses the days I could chill and play games for hours but I still try to find the time when I can!
space88blue wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:27 pm

Genesis wrote:
I hope things are looking a little better since then Relentless! We never played much together I think but I remember you.