** Suggested Game Updates/fixes **

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Stealth_

** Suggested Game Updates/fixes **

Post by Stealth_ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm going to list a few game features that need fixing or improvement based on the opinion of the majority of the players I interact with. Anyone feel free to add or contest any of these ideas/fixes.

1. New layouts

On Golden Age and other servers, you have placed layouts that are either Undomeable such as the picture below, or average at best. The idea of having layouts change weekly is great but they need to be replaced with better layouts.

2. Full Screen Compatability

Alot of starport players including my self, current and past players that I stay in contact with ,have not been able to use full screen without having the game become completely unplayable. I am not sure if it is because of the new windows 8/10 but I have tried to fix this, short of disabling my graphics card.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheeser

Re: ** Suggested Game Updates/fixes **

Post by cheeser » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 pm

I'll have to agree with Dr.Stealth on this one.

The full screen mode doesn't really affect me, as it works perfectly fine for me. But, I have heard a lot of players complaining about it. Has the layouts go, a lot are terrible. There are SOME (maybe 10%) of the layouts that are actually good while a majority (90%) are like the one stealth posted or just a completely open planet with no where to put a good dome. Toonces, PLEASE fix the layouts and make better ones, they are way too easy to invade and some you can't even put a biodome on it.

Cheers,

cheeser

TheMarine

Post by TheMarine » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:14 am

I cannot play in full screen mode.
Windows 7 64 bit Home premium
Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz-
G.SKILL Ares 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 MHz
HIS R9 285 X 2 in crossfireX

screen looks to have a frame rate of 2 You can actually watch the screen refresh and if fast enough click the buttons you need to go back to mirrored

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:36 pm

-If you can't run fullscreen, then your Windows OS is failing to support the older protocols of DirectX. If it's really slow in full screen mode, it means your Windows and Video Card Driver are packing the image sprites into system RAM rather than VRAM (video ram). This makes it 40 or 50 times slower. Try running Starport in compatibility mode Windows 7. To do this, right click the desktop icon shortcut that launches Starport. Choose Properties. Go to the compatibility tab, check the box and choose "Windows 7 compatibility mode". If that doesn't work, try looking at your video card settings such as with ATI's catalyst program or NVIDIA's control panel to changing your video settings. If there are any options regarding supporting Windows XP, Windows 7 apps, or DirectX 7, try changing that setting and see if it makes any difference for starport. Also try any settings related to VRAM usage. You might also try disabling the setting for "hardware acceleration" or "3d acceleration". You can also try reinstalling the video drivers from the maker's web site to make sure they match your version of Windows. Then you can look at its settings again. Each time you change a video card setting, run Starport to see if it has an effect.

-The landscape generator has been fixed and should be producing enough good maps :)

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:23 am

0:

TheMarine

Post by TheMarine » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:42 am

Did that been there in all compatibility modes!
I beg to differ with you Toonces.
The problem seems to be Card manufacturer related Not Operating System Related.
Those having most problems i talked to have ATI Radeon.
Those able to do any thing they want run Nvidia.
somewhere in those area's lies the fault
I just got done laying out 460.00 for these two R9 285 cards.

Funny my laptop windows 7 runs it fine.

ASUS Republic of Gamers G751JY-DB73X

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2 GB GDDR5
4th Generation Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD

but it won't run some of my latest games at ultra.
Like my Modified Alienware Desktop

I would like to know how you surmised that problem and what your idea for solution is?
along with explanation as to why it is Graphic card/ processor related.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:12 pm

TheMarine wrote: I would like to know how you surmised that problem and what your idea for solution is?
along with explanation as to why it is Graphic card/ processor related.
The video card manufacturers like ATI and NVidia provide software that Windows can use to operate them. That software is called the driver. Any time Windows updates or comes out with a new version, it may require a change to the driver software. The same thing is true with the new graphics cards that come out. The drivers are supposed to continue to support their older versions but bugs and glitches arise nonetheless. The writers of the driver software are more concerned with the performance of their new technologies than guaranteeing ongoing support for the older systems. Using compatibility modes like the ones i mentioned in my previous post above is one way to fix this problem, but of course there still could be a problem. The best you can do is continue to ensure you have the latest version of your drivers installed, matching your video card type and your version of Windows, and run in the compatibility mode (I believe Windows 7 is best), that you can set on the launcher shortcut you use to run StarportGE Client.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Install DirectPlay
see if that does anything