1 shot solars, again, like to good old days.

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

-notorious-

1 shot solars, again, like to good old days.

Post by -notorious- » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:10 am

A server with 1 shot solars and 5k pop max cols would overload with 100+ people playing.

Reasons? Use your imagination - it would be like starport in 2005/2006, when it was booming. Cols would be easier to take, and harder to defend, allowing people to play more casually - which people you ask? People who have regular 9-5's and can't commit to 4+ hours a day of gaming. They would be less reluctant to start a server, knowing if they lose a colony or two, it would not take much to get it back. It would also, as I previously mentioned, be much harder to defend, forcing players to rely on combat more - defending your cols more willingly via space fighting knowing it won't take the enemy many lands to capture.

I bet you would see a huge wave of players who have quit indefinitely, return. What is there to lose? At the very least, its just another server you can mess around on when your low on fuel on your main server.

anito_ush

Re: 1 shot solars, again, like to good old days.

Post by anito_ush » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:35 am

ive been keeping GA a warperma for as much as i can do which is nearly the same as your thoughts notor... awmalzo has returned, those sorelosers called him up.

cheeser

Post by cheeser » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:30 pm

I think this is an awesome idea. Only downfall is the fact that invading one shots will be ridiculously easy after taking some of these cols nowadays but then again, it is more relaxed. Still, I would play the BBQ outta this server.

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:56 am

hey notor, i think u can make your own kind of server.. others were able to create their own kind of perma... just like darkside and mrmcz

Divus

Post by Divus » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Well it had been about eight years since I last played this game and randomly in Dublin Airport it popped into my head and I was telling my son how much fun I had playing and Google the tame to show him.

This was an awesome game back then but real life time constraints stopped me playing as managing pollution became to much.

I am sure there have been many changes over the last 6 years and this thread has intrigued me me to download the game when I get back to see if I can get back into it - maybe get some medals again as I am sure my old profile will have been deleted by toonces and see if there are any old players on the permas.

Which is the most active perma now?

p.s. Surprised my old forum login still works WOOT!

Edit: auto spell on my mobile. Changed tonnes back to toonces lol

lagkill

Post by lagkill » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:41 am

I don't know what the magic formula is, but right now on P1, invading is so easy I have been doing it, and someone is taking about 20 colonies a day and has 1.8 million peeps now.
A grav and 6 or 7 energy dynamos and off to invade we go ....

omlow

Post by omlow » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:33 am

old idea. probably won't happen, but I'd love to be proved wrong on that.

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:19 pm

cheeser wrote:I think this is an awesome idea. Only downfall is the fact that invading one shots will be ridiculously easy after taking some of these cols nowadays but then again, it is more relaxed. Still, I would play the BBQ outta this server.

That's the point. 1 server enabling people to play as they please - people who can't commit to 4+ hours a day.

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:02 am

hey notor, can u gimme ur TS address, we need 1 to use. GA war is raging

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:17 pm

anito too poor to afford his own JAJAJA

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:37 am

u cant really say im poor, i just dont want a good one left unused... its a waste not to use it you know...

Luna

Post by Luna » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:33 am

I remember fondly the days of the one shot solar. I could actually invade some planets when I only had to navigate one shot. I think it would be interesting to have a retro perm like that.

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:19 pm

kicking the game back to one shot solars would be pathetically easy for anyone who's been playing the game since it was changed, even if they buffed the damage or firerate on them, it's have to be some insanely unrealistically high change to even pose a threat to a skilled player. we're so used to dodging between spreads, and everyone laughs at a colony not running at LEAST a 4 shot.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:02 am

I didn't learn to invade until after 1-shots, but I grew up on old 11th.

What makes 1-shots so much fun? The slide possibilities? The ability to turn the tides of war overnight? The ability to invade colonies without assistance?

I enjoyed invading on old 11th because even with 10-shot solars, the layouts weren't too difficult for me to invade alone. I could also slide plenty of high-solar cols ... and anyone who knows me knows that I'm not known for my invading skills. Back then I still had an interest in invading... but when 10/120 rat mazes became the norm, I stopped invading. I've never been into group invading, and the toughness of the cols made it almost necessary (although I know plenty of people who can take such colonies on their own, I am not one of them).

I think that servers are more active when there is more change/risk involved, and that means colonies being taken and retaken. I haven't played actively for a while so maybe what I have to say is totally irrelevant, but if colony defensive strength (through shot#, solar frequency, military strength, or layout) is lowered... more people are encouraged to invade. Builders make a server go up. Invaders make a server go 'round.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:11 am

One thing I never see anyone mention when this is brought up, is I'm pretty sure those 1 shots did more damage than the individual solar shots do now, and also a typical planet had a maxed population with max military setting, so I don't think the old way was that much easier than it is now. Although when I say now, I'm comparing it to the last time I actually invaded a planet, which admittedly was years ago.

Also /wave everybody :)

pudlez

Post by pudlez » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:11 am

I agree with MegaMan that I believe the solar did more damage and also think the lasers did too. Definitely more relaxed than this DD stuff :)