Extreme Lag with new PC

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Extreme Lag with new PC

Post by 0zzy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Long time, folks.

So long story short, blew my University loan on a kick donkey gaming rig and have been throwing around Battlefield 3 and CoD: Ghosts on top notch settings. It has a GDDR5 10GB 5.1GHZ Octo-Core (not into my computers, but I believe this is alot).

Anyway, for a fleeting second I thought 'hey.. maybe I can play SGE'

Even when I used to play the latter years I suffered from so much Lag it was pointless, but I blamed it on the weak CPU.

On SGE, I get insane amounts of Lag. I cant see the fire behind me, lasers/flaks/missiles appear and reappear, people fly about the screen, I cant see what I'm typing until its sent etc.

Now this PC has the (F******* horrible) windows 8, I've been told by a few people that this could be causing it. Now I'm wondering, whether or not this is the case, what should I do to erase the damned lag?

P.S Absolutely no issues with connectivity, wired internet and its fine everywhere else.

MadAce

Re: Extreme Lag with new PC

Post by MadAce » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:54 am

0zzy wrote:Long time, folks.

So long story short, blew my University loan on a kick donkey gaming rig and have been throwing around Battlefield 3 and CoD: Ghosts on top notch settings. It has a GDDR5 10GB 5.1GHZ Octo-Core (not into my computers, but I believe this is alot).

Anyway, for a fleeting second I thought 'hey.. maybe I can play SGE'

Even when I used to play the latter years I suffered from so much Lag it was pointless, but I blamed it on the weak CPU.

On SGE, I get insane amounts of Lag. I cant see the fire behind me, lasers/flaks/missiles appear and reappear, people fly about the screen, I cant see what I'm typing until its sent etc.

Now this PC has the (F******* horrible) windows 8, I've been told by a few people that this could be causing it. Now I'm wondering, whether or not this is the case, what should I do to erase the damned lag?

P.S Absolutely no issues with connectivity, wired internet and its fine everywhere else.
Perhaps running it in compatibility mode will help.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows ... windows-8/

0zzy

Post by 0zzy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Pre-compatibility mode I was averaging 11 FPS. Post compatibility test it raised to around 20 (I used the Windows 7 option).

Its 'playable', as some of the issues (black text, fire behind, scattering around etc) are gone. But the general FPS is just too low and this is in a blank server, I'd reckon it'd drop to around 5-6 FPS in a col. Its weird, my room mate who I introduced to SGE has a far worse computer than me (Windows 7 though) and shares the same network yet is getting a stable 60 FPS.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:49 pm

The issues you're describing are almost certainly not the cause of some network-related ailment.

What are your computer specs? CPU, GPU?

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Most likely a Graphics card option Issue.

Check the front of your gaming rig if you see:-

Nvidia:- Goto your desktop right-click goto nvidia control panel and adjust your 3d settings on the slider provided to Performance.

ATI/AMD:- Goto your desktop right-click and goto Catalyst control center. In here you will find some varius 3D settings... you need to set anything that is a feature of that card to "off" or "application controlled" where necessary.

Then reload your starport and see if there is any effect. I suspect that your Graphics card is trying to get the game to do something it doesn't support being now very dated in comparison to later games, please note that this will reduce the quality of any other game so take a note of what you have changed and revert it between switching to a more modern game.

Cya,
Johnnyc

0zzy

Post by 0zzy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Computer specs:

5.1ghz octo-core, 1TB storage, AMD HD Radeon 7770 graphics card (I know its a radeon and that it starts with 77.. not sure about the rest), ram is a 10gb GDRR5.

No idea of what any of that means.

I'll try out what Johnny said, cheers.

NightstarRage

Post by NightstarRage » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:14 pm

The issue does not lie within the hardware on your PC but the operating itself. According to Toonces, both Radeon and nVidia drivers do not support his game. However, they work perfectly fine on Windows 7. Therefore, I am inclined to believe the problem lies within Windows 8, and some kind of DirectX 7 compatibility issue.

The fix is simple. Play the game in Windowed Mode, and you will suffer no fps drops.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:03 pm

I have noticed since I have played this game that the better of a computer you have, the worse it runs Starport: GE

I just replaced my old Nvidia 9800 GT 1gb Gddr3 with a GTX 660 2gb Gddr5 and to be honest I got better fps with the older card. Good benefit is when I play BF3 I don't get shot thru walls because of all the lag with the older card. The 9800 would pull 50-60 fps on BF3 on low settings and got 60+ on Starport.

Check your resolution via the ATI/Nvidia utility and make sure that the monitor is running on native resolution. If you are running Windows 8/Metro it is reported that there is a bottleneck with video. I do not know if Windows 8.1 fixed this.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with zero problems with any of the games. If you can afford a Solid State Hard Drive (SSD) it is the best thing you can get for any computer. Made all the difference with BF3, no more of the loading level for 10 minutes with a SSD.

0zzy

Post by 0zzy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:40 am

Thanks everyone, kinda given up though.

Literally tried everything and it hasn't helped at all. Many other games suffer the same issue too (So I know its Windows 8 ) but turning to windows mode is a complete fix. Problem with SGE is even in windowed mode I dont get more than 20FPS, as I said this is ridiculous when I get 60fps on BF3 on ultra settings.

I've emailed Toonces, kinda disappointed he hasn't even bothered replying all this time.. Even if he cant help, talk about lousy customer service.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:36 am

If you wanted to go to windows 7 I can send you the direct link to download windows 7 from Microsoft so its guaranteed to not have any malware on it. Windows 7 will fix your computer, quick question have you updated to Windows 8.1....from what I hear it fixed most of the video bottlenecks.

Lemme know