Starport for Android

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Itasme

Starport for Android

Post by Itasme » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:52 am

Hey all,

I realise there's a significant difference between processor types in your PC compared to any tablet (Not just Android), specifically that instructions have to be a lot shorter to go through an ARM chip (For example, Javascript uses a bytecode to split larger instructions and pipeline them through the processor as two or three shorter instructions).

But has anyone managed to get it working?

How hard would it be to get it to work?

If Toonces can't spare the time, is there anyone else in the community who would be willing to help out in trying?

I'd love to have the freedom to play SGE on my tablet as my laptop has a very limited battery life, but i don't have enough knowledge of the ARM chip and the bytecodes to do it on my own.

This should probably be in the Research Lab, but i wanted to gauge opinions first and try and get something worked out before it went in there.

Thoughts?

Zangetsu

Re: Starport for Android

Post by Zangetsu » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:55 pm

stfu with this pointless crap, toonces doesnt have the time for this, id rather him code the game better then make it for android aswel. lock this post (:

Itasme

Post by Itasme » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Dude - Where's the need? I was only asking a question to see what other folk thought. Your point is actually completely invalid - But of course, you'd know that if you'd read the entire post, rather than the first two lines and deciding to flame the newbie.

If you've seriously got nothing better to do, then just f*ck off and stop stealing oxygen.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:20 pm

The need? MONEY. CASH.

Itasme

Post by Itasme » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:02 pm

No - I agree MadAce, the game needs to make money - That much is obvious and understandable. If it needs to be justified in that way, then adding compatibility for another platform means players can have a little more freedom when and where they play, in the garden, on the bus, in a bar - generally in places where using a laptop/desktop is inconvenient or you have a long wait somewhere and your laptop's battery has died.

More playing = more sales - At least, in theory anyway.

It was just a suggestion to put it out there anyway :)

Zangetsu

Post by Zangetsu » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:25 am

Itasme wrote:No - I agree MadAce, the game needs to make money - That much is obvious and understandable. If it needs to be justified in that way, then adding compatibility for another platform means players can have a little more freedom when and where they play, in the garden, on the bus, in a bar - generally in places where using a laptop/desktop is inconvenient or you have a long wait somewhere and your laptop's battery has died.

More playing = more sales - At least, in theory anyway.

It was just a suggestion to put it out there anyway :)

doing this wont increase starports player base lol

Itasme

Post by Itasme » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am

I never said that it would Zang.

What i said was:
Itasme wrote:More playing = more sales - At least, in theory anyway.
I never said anything about new players, it was insinuated that the people currently playing may play more - Or perhaps just a few would.

And plus, if we (You, me, toonces or whoever) gets it to work with Android, then the Play Store might bring in some new folk - but that's just sheer speculation. Starport was, if not one of, the first to use the play-for-free model that doesn't include bloatware, crap or a buyable 'I WIN' button. Would be nice to show them how it's done ;)