Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 15

Mr Cow

Exp loss for pvp

Post by Mr Cow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Look, i understand the exp loss cap for invading...everyone should be able to invade without big fear of losing exp, but pvp wise...we need a MUCH larger risk for dieing... maybe not 25% but 10% even...SOME kind of risk...any one else have an opinion?
Last edited by Mr Cow on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Re: Exp loss for pvp

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:40 pm

PvP used to be so fun, fighting 4-5 people and circle flying all the nukes. Now when you kill someone it's just a waste of time, nobody cares about dying in the game because there are no consequences other then losing some of your cash.

Killing a high exp player used to be such a rush, it made the game so much more fun.

At least patch one server that has the old exp loss, building and invading are the only things to do in the game now.....pretty boring without the epic space fights we all used to have. The days of camping a port or col with someone hiding cause they are afraid to lose exp are long gone :(

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Agree

This is a pathetic introduction and should be put back too where it was before = larger player base.

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:09 am

I agree I to miss that rush bring the old exp loss back

omlow

Post by omlow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:05 am

srsly guise, i thought we were all beyond caring about exp?

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm

omlow wrote:srsly guise, i thought we were all beyond caring about exp?
Perhaps some Omlow - but lets look at the Thrills of Experience in Starport.
1) Experience (Generally resulting in higher Rank positioning of the Player - which in turn gives notoriety and in some cases respect ? )
Ways to make Experience ?
Build - in some ( most cases ) this takes time and is great fun ( for some ) - probably accommodates about 40 % of current Starport Players ?.
Invading - Quicker way of making Experience in current Starport Status, - maybe accommodates 60% of current Players ? .
Then there's NPC killing and stuff, but pretty slow way to gain it.
System Fighting - This USED to be one of the biggest kicks in Starport ... Targeting a certain Player and camping him for hours in a Port or Colony - just trying to get his Experience ! ! Experience gain is Mega Fast and also EXPERIENCE creates WARS on Starport - that's the reason so many Wars were fought back Pre 2008. !!!
BROKEN MONKEY ( /salutes ) Corp used to target the highest corp on different Servers - just to knock them off their perch and prove a point. - they achieved it by careful planning and Player killing / Invading.

Where has it all gone now ?

All i'm suggesting is that Toonces brings back SOME of the old school reasons why we used too play so much.
Perhaps he will see Playerbase rise significantly and Wars start again - afterall isn't that why we play this game ?

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm

shall i make a poll?

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Mr Cow wrote:shall i make a poll?
Id vote.

Problem is you need 1000 % for the change and zero against for them too even contemplate doing it.
All it takes is 1 Tokenwhore Player to say no and the game stays the way it is ... just for him.

They would be better off deleting most Permas and creating one new one which has every aspect of Pre 2008 in it - right down too the finest detail. - force everybody left onto it.
No Mods ( just Artys )
No Port Negs etc etc.
25k Pop Cols.
3 IGP
Normal Fuel
Very Large Map.

brutus

Post by brutus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm

This is just a duplicate topic of what i suggested in research just after the xp loss cap came in with a slant towards pvp . If there was to be a change back it would have to be across the board otherwise it would just be another change to suit some with personal agenda`s.(IE) like when it was first intro dueced!. Afterall i hear some say xp is not important then what is there to lose if it was brought back?. Although in general most of the improvements ive welcomed this was one that took excitement risk and not to mention enjoyment away and i think weakened the game rather than improved it. That is my personal opinion but one i know many agree with.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:22 pm

exp never meant anything in permas, just bragging rights that's all. Used to be fun making exp noobs cry when u killed em

VanadiumDragon

Post by VanadiumDragon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:32 am

you dont lose exp when u die now?!

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:33 pm

VD, you lose i think 100k exp for a limit 1-5mil exp? when u get alot of exp its a small % , i wanna say 2% someone correct me tho

VanadiumDragon

Post by VanadiumDragon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:57 pm

thats retarded. its like he wants to run the game into the ground and file bankruptcy or something

Suave

Post by Suave » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:36 pm

I just want back the old days of exp loss...

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Well, there seems to be some misunderstanding here. First off, rules are changed or introduced to make the game more fun, not because of whims or the opinions of a few token buyers. In the case of exp loss from dying, this rule was changed because the risk of dying in extended bang games caused the proper strategy for winning to be to remain in a port for the final month of the game. I felt that it was a bit silly if the best way to win was by not even participating in the game. So reduction of exp loss from dying was part of the solution to this issue.

Secondly, mitigation of highs and lows in a player's experience is something I see as good. To put in other words, when bad things happen they shouldn't be so terribly bad that they set you back days, weeks, or months of time. This is the same reason why insurance exists when you blow up--so that the negative experience is mitigated to some degree and not the end of the world.

If, considering these points, players still support the idea of increasing the exp loss, I'm willing to move it up some. The current maximum setting is 2% of your experience. That could be moved up to 3, 5, perhaps even as high as 10%. This maximum could also apply only to PvP deaths and not deployed defenses deaths if desired.

Let me know what you think! :)

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Toonce, I think everyone agrees that the exp loss was a factor in rebangs. Yes it would suck to lose a rebang cause you did something dumb. Personally i say too bad for the people on rebangs but I don't play them so my opinion is just that.

But as far as permas where exp means nothing but bragging rights please return it to how it used to be, decrease the exp loss for dying from invading slightly from the original loss of exp percentage but bring back the old percentage lost in a PvP. At least PvP would be worthwhile again and invading will still carry some risk but not as steep as the old exp percentage settings.

Loosing exp on a perma does nothing for rankings cause a perma never ends so nobody wins anyway. Also you may not have thought of this but you have lost a lot token sales by changing the exp percentage, players used to buy exp all the time for tokens. I've seen dozens of new players thru the years buy a lot of tokens just to buy deaths on permas...even thou exp means nothing.

Making these changes on permas is a win/win for everyone.

VanadiumDragon

Post by VanadiumDragon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm

its not the death or exp losed that hurts... everyone knows its the NEWSFLASH XD

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm

I completly agree, exp loss for pvp needs to be wayh igher, but low exp loss for invading is a good thing

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:55 am

Looks like we have a majority of players that wish the old exp loss was restored. Make exp loss from invading and dying less so high exp players still play and not hide in ports and make PvP space fights worthwhile to fight, one of the most enjoyable parts of this game.

To keep the rebangers happy keep the current exp loss the same but return the permas back to the old exp loss percentage. yes it stings when you lose a lot of exp as it should but if anyone e-rages longer then 10 seconds after being blown up they have no right to dictate to others that almost no exp is lost for the reason that they lack the skill to PvP.

Making dying more important for PvP will stimulate token sales and make us happy again. SGE has become too "Vanilla" and is geared for low skill players, players with skill are not rewarded in anyway. I don't know of any other games that such a drastic change was made from the original concept to appease players that do not want to learn how to fight better... all the current generations of players have become babies.

If they don't want to lose exp then they can go to Frontier Wars where they can hide out indefinitely on the Fog Of War that no gang bangers want to be bothered wasting weeks plotting out the map instead of going to a server and stirring things up killing high exp players.

More Wars = More Token Sales.

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 pm

omlow wrote:srsly guise, i thought we were all beyond caring about exp?
qft