2011 Champ

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

KUKA
2009 Double Champion
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:30 pm

2011 Champ

Post by KUKA » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Congrats the the two champs this year: D-Tox in PK and Papa.John in PAX.

Both are incredibly deserving and it's nice to see the champs continue to go to established, deserving players.

KUKA only hopes more people show up next yeat to try to stake a claim... the champs are the most epic 3 weeks starport has to offer. Just showing up is a testament to being a great player. Thanks to all who participated :)

User avatar
Major
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Major » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Was indeed fun. Wish i didnt get so hammered last night and could have done more.

still overall one of the funnest times ive had playing in years. congrats to all who played. ...and thanks.

User avatar
Faint
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:24 pm
Location: USA,west palm beach FL

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Faint » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:38 pm

yeah good job everyone wish it could have been more epic i probly should have put more effort in but we will see what happens next year. :twisted:

User avatar
CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: stuck at warp

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by CrazyChef » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Congrats to everyone, it was a well played game!

User avatar
D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:01 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by D-Tox1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Was nice seeing a fairly decent amount of Players in the Tourneys this year Pax especially, sure hope it doesnt ever get deleted - Papa.John you did a great job on there . /salute. :)
Id personally like to congratulate Chico.X on giving me a migraine from stress for the last 4 days, he played a blinding game and had a cracking stratedgy - it was a very close call right up until the end.

Totally agree with KUKA .. The Champs are the most epic 3 weeks in Starport and this year brought all different levels of gameplay to the game from despair to determination.
On that note i would also like too thank all that helped me on there - you all did a great job and the determination you showed enabled the win - some came from Pax Champs ( so were already exhausted ) and some were Players i hadnt seen in quite some time - to all of you i am truly thankful.

/salute you all

Toxy

User avatar
fredfredburger
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:07 pm
Location: I will kill for food.

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by fredfredburger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:53 am

D-Tox1 wrote:Was nice seeing a fairly decent amount of Players in the Tourneys this year Pax especially, sure hope it doesnt ever get deleted - Papa.John you did a great job on there . /salute. :)
Id personally like to congratulate Chico.X on giving me a migraine from stress for the last 4 days, he played a blinding game and had a cracking stratedgy - it was a very close call right up until the end.

Totally agree with KUKA .. The Champs are the most epic 3 weeks in Starport and this year brought all different levels of gameplay to the game from despair to determination.
On that note i would also like too thank all that helped me on there - you all did a great job and the determination you showed enabled the win - some came from Pax Champs ( so were already exhausted ) and some were Players i hadnt seen in quite some time - to all of you i am truly thankful.

/salute you all

Toxy
grats to champs.
id just like to mention that Chico.x had 6-7 helpers while D-Tox had 13 helpers.
But yeah, like you said D-Tox, the one who wins champs is the one with highest helpers number!

duece
Posts: 2117
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:39 am

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by duece » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:55 am

It is what it is, the competition for Champs is in the months leading up to it when you do as many favors as possible to get repaid with helpers. The rebang itself is mostly a formality.

User avatar
Major
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Major » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:01 am

did you even play fred?

User avatar
Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:40 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:41 am

fredfredburger wrote:
D-Tox1 wrote:Was nice seeing a fairly decent amount of Players in the Tourneys this year Pax especially, sure hope it doesnt ever get deleted - Papa.John you did a great job on there . /salute. :)
Id personally like to congratulate Chico.X on giving me a migraine from stress for the last 4 days, he played a blinding game and had a cracking stratedgy - it was a very close call right up until the end.

Totally agree with KUKA .. The Champs are the most epic 3 weeks in Starport and this year brought all different levels of gameplay to the game from despair to determination.
On that note i would also like too thank all that helped me on there - you all did a great job and the determination you showed enabled the win - some came from Pax Champs ( so were already exhausted ) and some were Players i hadnt seen in quite some time - to all of you i am truly thankful.

/salute you all

Toxy
grats to champs.
id just like to mention that Chico.x had 6-7 helpers while D-Tox had 13 helpers.
But yeah, like you said D-Tox, the one who wins champs is the one with highest helpers number!
I'm sick of the subtle shots you guys have been taking at tox - and if you don't know what I mean then you're an idiot and I know you arent one

from day one chico begged to tox to not invade him - sort of silly in the champs, it's competition and everyone should be able to fight and still be friends - happens every year without any major problems. What a major coincidence that Chico solbuilt then and had all his helpers just filling cols with people from sol. Solbuilding of course is naturally risky as you can be found and invaded very easily - chico begging for peace was a calculated move to improve his strategy, not one to protect a friendship, or w/e he says it was. It was a smart idea, I give him that - just dont get sore cause it didn't pay off in the end. chico even told tox that if he invaded him he wasn't speaking to him ever again. So don't complain. The only person tox had to do a 'favor' for was CC, when he helped him last year, but he wasn't even able to be on much cause he was busy. Me, Kuka, MJS, Altair, and every other random person that came and helped for a day or two at a time did so on their own accord - cause they thought tox deserved it. As KUKA says, until someone wins champs by buying their helpers, they earned the help, and deserve to win.

One side overwhelmed another with its numbers, but also coordination of its numbers, as well as tactics. Chico's crew only took two cols that were never retaken by us, whilst we capped well over 100k of his that he never got back. A zoundz they were invading got it's bio 3 sold at the last second, so you had to waste fuel barging in resources/people and cash rushing the bio3. That col in particular was 2 hops from a port, and we had biggi suiciding into the mines outside of it - they constantly had to be replaced and sol prices were expensive as hug. Combine all that and it amounts to a pyrrhic victory, one that chico never recovered from.

There's really no logic, no excuse behind your bitterness - whatever reason you can come up with for losing is probably something that happens every champs and is not a cause for bitterness. On that note what exactly is it about tox's game that makes him so undeserving in the eyes of chico's side? That's a serious question - and I know at least half of them are reading this thread. sure tox's numbers advantage got him the victory, but champs have been that way for 6 years now. You all know this, so don't whine about it. The accusations (mainly by wit) that tox just paid all the people to help him are entirely laughable as well - especially if you look at the names he had on his side. Chico side is assuming what they want to be true in order to feel better about themselves - and that to me is what's sad, not that they're just upset about losing.

Losing always leaves a bitter taste - I think we can all agree. So I hope chico/wit/blur/you won't stay sour about these champs. perhaps ya'll have a right to be a bit pissed - thought it doesn't impress anyone who witnessed the sour grapes and certainly doesn't show any class - in 09 when KUKA trapped and killed the empire they were graceful in defeat.

Frustration from losing is natural - you say good game, no hard feelings, move on - but finger pointing, pouting, and making excuses is just childish, and I was disappointed from your side. 3 days before it was over, when Tox was still down in followers and exp, he said to chico that he'd wish him a good game and no hard feelings no matter who one - and now chico's not talking to him.

User avatar
Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:40 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:46 am

duece wrote:It is what it is, the competition for Champs is in the months leading up to it when you do as many favors as possible to get repaid with helpers. The rebang itself is mostly a formality.
Definitely not this year, and definitely not for the past couple years. The rebang is not a formality, however I'll agree it is a contest between sides consisting of multiple people all helping one person. It was Dogzilla, an already established crew who would not need to give each other favors to put together a team to help one of their own - vs Tox's side of someone he helped win last year, others who took note of it and respected/wanted to help him for it, and people like me, who have known him for a long time and think that he just deserves to win.

There was no "doing as many favors as possible to get repaid with helpers in the months before the bang" on either side.

duece
Posts: 2117
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:39 am

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by duece » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:00 am

Saber-Fury wrote: There was no "doing as many favors as possible to get repaid with helpers in the months before the bang" on either side.
Well I didn't mean that in a derogatory way. But yeah, it's a competition between groups to get their guy the gold. And I'm sure there's a very (very very) strong correlation between which group has more people and which group wins. It's the same way with extended bangs (which I enjoy). But when you can count the number of helpers a guy has and predict the winner, then that takes away from the actual rebang. It's a meaningful competition when the outcome is uncertain, and that only happens when two groups are evenly matched.

I didn't mean to discredit d-tox, he's a good guy and a great player. I just meant that complaining about people using helpers for the champs is like complaining that people use flower power on blitz. It's just part of it. I'll admit I think it would be better if it wasn't like that, but I don't see how it can be fixed.

User avatar
Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:40 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 am

duece wrote:
Saber-Fury wrote: There was no "doing as many favors as possible to get repaid with helpers in the months before the bang" on either side.
Well I didn't mean that in a derogatory way. But yeah, it's a competition between groups to get their guy the gold. And I'm sure there's a very (very very) strong correlation between which group has more people and which group wins. It's the same way with extended bangs (which I enjoy). But when you can count the number of helpers a guy has and predict the winner, then that takes away from the actual rebang. It's a meaningful competition when the outcome is uncertain, and that only happens when two groups are evenly matched.

I didn't mean to discredit d-tox, he's a good guy and a great player. I just meant that complaining about people using helpers for the champs is like complaining that people use flower power on blitz. It's just part of it. I'll admit I think it would be better if it wasn't like that, but I don't see how it can be fixed.
pretty much agree with everything here :)

however sometimes the way the help works can vary. This year chico had a bunch of guys all dialed in to the same strategy. Tox on the other hand had more guys, but it was just like w/e they could do to help, he'd take. Some of us played more than chicos guys and some played a lot less and only helped out a couple times. So there was some unpredictability. And it was very close with about 3 different swings of momentum in the final few days. Though I definitely agree if you have two sides whose players commit and make a plan before the champs, the side with the most people will win. This year it was only partially like that as chico's crew had a fairly consistent plan and activity but less people whereas we had more people, no plan from the start other then to help tox in any way we could, and a large spectrum of activity. So I don't think you could have guessed this years result soley from his helper count compared to chico's - chico actually had the lead for most of the game and as i said it was back and forth.

User avatar
MING
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:54 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by MING » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:34 pm

MING!

8)

KUKA
2009 Double Champion
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:30 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by KUKA » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Saber-Fury wrote: if you have two sides whose players commit and make a plan before the champs, the side with the most people will win. This year it was only partially like that as chico's crew had a fairly consistent plan and activity but less people whereas we had more people, no plan from the start other then to help tox in any way we could, and a large spectrum of activity. So I don't think you could have guessed this years result soley from his helper count compared to chico's - chico actually had the lead for most of the game and as i said it was back and forth.
Pretty good post. The only thing KUKA just doesn't agree with is the whole "who has the most help" thing that people keep bringing up. Frankly KUKA would rather have one CC than 3 newbs. One good invader makes more of a difference than 3 people who get on and just trade for cash. Some skills are worth more than others, and make more of a difference than others. It's not just about headcount.

Chico got quality help in building at the start of the game, but got almost no help (other than Faint, it seemed) when things got heavy toward the end. THAT was the difference in the gold. The numbers of helpers were incidental, and at the start of the game Chico had WAY more help then D-tox. The same people griping about Toxie's help right now certainly weren't feeling there was anything wrong with it when Chico had more help at the start.

Chico's a great and deserving player, and the champs can make people a bit crazier than any other server or time of year. That said - as it's been pointed out earlier - there are plenty of examples of people winning and losing graciously in the champs, and with all respect Chico's crowd did neither graciously. Chico will likely be a contender if not the winner next year - KUKA only hopes his crowd can show a bit more humility and good sportsmanship while they are at it. It's just a silly game :)

User avatar
WeGotDeathStar
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 am
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Well i played this year for the first time, pretty interesting game. Surprised to see how easy it was for people to get into the top 10 by just killing NPC, around 120k exp and you got a bronze. Is this high or low on average compared to other years?

Personally it was a well played game on both sides of the chico/d-tox saga...seems like chicos arrogance got to him. Not a very humble player but good in his own right. I would rather see a championship won by individuals not by people that have friends come in and help them but for once there was no cheesy last minute cups won by a "Helper" killing a high exp player to get a bronze. The 100k cap was a good thing for the champs.

It's no secret that everyone worked their butts off this year, Major played for the first time and got a silver cup...congrats. Darth.Invader was a first time champ player as well and got 7'th overall...again nice job.

I think next year Toonces should consider revamping the champs by preventing players from trading planets with each other. A level playing field with no advantage from friends would be interesting and would prove who is the better player and prevent the argument as to who had more people helping them and keep people with deep pockets from "Buying Followers". Also no corps/contractors would be a good thing.


Congrats to all that played the 2011 Starport GE Championships.

User avatar
D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:01 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by D-Tox1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:36 pm

I've just been watching the posts on here .. reluctant to post any further comments :?
Id rather the community make their own decisions - saying that - i have my own opinions which i shall voice now.

KUKA and Sabre are totally correct in their assumption that .. if ( if ) it had carried on and Chico won - there wouldnt be any malice or resentment from his help he had on there.
I want to make one thing known - Chico deserved to win just as much as i did, in my honest opinion he played a valiant game using the original tactics he chose - unfortunately for him - he didnt have the back-up required when it was necessary.
That was the only difference - Chico.X was forced to continue his original gameplan whereas i had nothing to lose by changing mine - thats where the help i had came in, and they surpassed any normal expectations you wouldv'e expected from a band of Players on this occasion and continued to invade him at all times available ( with Faint playing a big part in Chico's aid ).
Faint was THE only person playing for Chico that actually seemed to be fighting back .. and he did it ... because he wanted a laugh and some fun (*quote Faint.).
I paid for 2 people to play the PK Champs - the rest joined and helped me because they wanted too.
So .. it WASNT a case where i came onto PK Champs with 13 people helping me win - they joined over the course of the game - to me thats not " expecting " help - thats having loyal friends trying to do their best to help you win.
Faint died invading due to a dc issue - and tbh had an awful run of luck ( my sympathies for him ) - yet he continued on Chicos side because at that point Chico had less help.
Mr.Sge died due to in UN Space dc - he quit and hailed me ( hopefully im correct ) 40k followers ( ish ) - this helped massively in the beginning of the game - it kept the flame alive.
Never once in the PK Champs did i disrespect Chico in shout - or any of his team - and i wont be starting now .. Chico.X wouldve been a deserved winner this year - If it makes Chicos team happy fine " Tox didnt win it - his team did ".

Wanna know how i feel about " My " team winning it - its all in the Avatar baby .. they totally kicked arse on PK Champs - through thick and thin they battled for me and won it .
The Cup may be on my profile - but each and every single one of them deserve a piece of it.

/salute team " Imperial Guard and contractors "

Toxy
( part of the 2011 PK Champs Team Winners )

KUKA
2009 Double Champion
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:30 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by KUKA » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:17 pm

[quote="WeGotDeathStar"]I think next year Toonces should consider revamping the champs by preventing players from trading planets with each other. A level playing field with no advantage from friends would be interesting and would prove who is the better player and prevent the argument as to who had more people helping them and keep people with deep pockets from "Buying Followers". Also no corps/contractors would be a good thing.[quote]

KUKA used to feel this way, but there are two problems with it.

One is a practical problem that people will ALWAYS be able to help someone. Before u used to be able to hail people colonies, people would just remove defs and let someone cap. Before there were contractors people would still be able to make cash, invade for people, and build for people.

The second is a theoretical problem - Starport is a multiplayer game, and the fun of the game comes from playing with people. Diplomatically getting quality players to back your effort to become champ IS a skill, and is perhaps more of a skill than dropping resources or dodging nukes. Not just anyone can assemble a winning team.

Getting rid of people giving deaths and popping lasers were two huge improvements in the champs this year. Someone suggested people only being able to have colonies hailed to them if they are in the system of the colonies - that would balance things out even more and would probably be a good change. In the end, though, the champs will always be a team effort, and it should probably be that way in a multiplayer game.

The only way to ever make the game about individual skills would be to have everyone play identical copies of the same map solo - no other players on the server. Whoever gets the most xp would be winner. But what fun would that be? It really wouldn't mean much to win seomthing like that - the game is about outmaneuvering other actual people.

And tox is right about Chico being deserving. Every year there's someone whose effort was gold-worthy but doesn't yield a gold. "There's always next year". :)

User avatar
Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:40 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Yea the idea of everyone just playing a 'copy' of the server would just be a pax building contest - one which would yield tons of followers considering how cheap domes are on pk.

User avatar
BardockSGE
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 am
Location: Noob from Boundless Sea.

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by BardockSGE » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Champs sound so fun and full of drama. It almost makes me want to compete next and hopelessly lose.

User avatar
Faint
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:24 pm
Location: USA,west palm beach FL

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Faint » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:57 pm

all i need is to quit my job stop drinking heineken till 2am and invading..stop fighting ppl outnumbered and dieing.. hope the server doesnt DC me and i would win champs easily.

User avatar
Mel'Kaven
Posts: 2187
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Kittehville
Contact:

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Mel'Kaven » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Faint wrote:all i need is to quit my job stop drinking heineken till 2am and invading..stop fighting ppl outnumbered and dieing.. hope the server doesnt DC me and i would win champs easily.
So you mean to tell me that in all the years you could have entered and won, every one of them consisted of you being drunk? Just in that statement I dont think you have the ability to. :roll:

KUKA
2009 Double Champion
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:30 pm

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by KUKA » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 pm

KUKA can't imagine playing PAX and NOT being drunk... it's the only thing that makes it bearable on any level ;)

User avatar
Mel'Kaven
Posts: 2187
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Kittehville
Contact:

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Mel'Kaven » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:50 pm

KUKA wrote:KUKA can't imagine playing PAX and NOT being drunk... it's the only thing that makes it bearable on any level ;)
Lol! :lol: well pax is BBQ boring.

User avatar
BardockSGE
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 am
Location: Noob from Boundless Sea.

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by BardockSGE » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Faint wrote:all i need is to quit my job stop drinking SKUNKPISS till 2am and invading..stop fighting ppl outnumbered and dieing.. hope the server doesnt DC me and i would win champs easily.

User avatar
Mel'Kaven
Posts: 2187
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Kittehville
Contact:

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Mel'Kaven » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:38 pm

BardockSGE wrote:
Faint wrote:all i need is to quit my job stop drinking SKUNKPISS till 2am and invading..stop fighting ppl outnumbered and dieing.. hope the server doesnt DC me and i would win champs easily.
.... :shock:

User avatar
Major
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Major » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:04 am

Faint wrote:all i need is to quit my job stop drinking heineken till 2am and invading..stop fighting ppl outnumbered and dieing.. hope the server doesnt DC me and i would win champs easily.
next year try vodka.

User avatar
JuliusCaesar
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Middle of nj, usa

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:20 am

mmmm vodka.

User avatar
Faint
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:24 pm
Location: USA,west palm beach FL

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Faint » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 am

bardock u got a weird imagination...and yeah i drink grey goose all the time aswell lol. And also all the years iv played sge iv allways been a mediocre player i never tried to get 100s of medals or be first place all the time...these days to be first place alot you need to have alot of time on your hands..and tbh when i was younger i did have the time and was allways on top everywhere. either way i have fun i get a rush out of fighting ppl still..invading however has been trouble with lag for me so i kinda dont feel like doing much of it..and honestly if i didnt get dcd in champs id have at least a bronze..and with the col cap exp from chicos cols id have silver..and it would have been well earned because i did pretty much rape alot of $ worth of ships and solod a fog and capitolized on 2 cols over 5k pop i would have built on...its just being like that doesnt make me win i gotta really say toonces helped me out by giving me my stuff back..but what i lost was the colonies. i just gave up on everything that day which was stupid...i gave the rocky SW to chico and left the fog open for a cap..and chico got it which was good because i wanted to help him against the d-tox horde. i kinda wish we had about 4-5 groups going for the gold..its allways 2 or 1 sided...that is how true champs would be decided..no 2 side...3-4-5 sides. you know what im sayin? w.e im done with my book i just wrote lol.

User avatar
AKA Copler
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:56 am
Location: The Home Of The Brave

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by AKA Copler » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:16 pm

yea this was my first champs and i had a lot of fun but it sucks because my ethernet went down the last 2 days lol but i managed top 10 so didnt do to bad

User avatar
Toonces
Site Admin
Posts: 1619
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:23 am
Location: Beta Canum Venaticorum
Contact:

Re: 2011 Champ

Post by Toonces » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 pm

The official results news post is up :) viewtopic.php?p=264070#p264070

Post Reply