Out with the old, in with the new!
86%
No servers should be deleted!
14%

Total votes: 22

Mr Cow

DELETE ROP AND MORE!

Post by Mr Cow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 pm

ok toonces, youve been talking about deleting inactive servers for quite some time now. JUST DO IT! We need these servers gone to make room for the new ideas.. i want to try that 6 month pax then changes back to pvp thing. Point is we've waited too long! Do what you need to do!

fredfredburger

Re: DELETE ROP AND MORE!

Post by fredfredburger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:41 pm

if we make a new server, its gonna be popular for the first 2-3 months, then it will die.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:08 pm

fredfredburger wrote:if we make a new server, its gonna be popular for the first 2-3 months, then it will die.

Not true, Golden Age is still going strong. Orion banged after it and never took off. Just the last month Frontier Wars has started to pick up with a average of 10 players most times.

We needed a good server and got one, GA has proven that we wanted a no-mod server and because of that it has been a huge success.

If mod servers keep getting banged then all it does is spread the player base even thinner.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 pm

tors been active too. too bad i like mods :[

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37 pm

best thread since Nov 20, 2010

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:49 pm

lol mel, just wish he'd hurry up and do the do!

KingDemon

Post by KingDemon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:33 am

RoP is already set to deleted after having to nag at him about it being so inactive, RoP goes on the 1st Nov! :)

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:34 am

KingDemon wrote:RoP is already set to deleted after having to nag at him about it being so inactive, RoP goes on the 1st Nov! :)
good BBQ 8)

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:24 pm

What about the 11th, and p5 maybe...idk how active p1 is though..

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Mr Cow wrote:What about the 11th, and p5 maybe...idk how active p1 is though..
p1 is pretty active

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Although it's sad to see servers go, sometimes it's the best for the game. More players in less space seems to keep most players happy. You can't please everyone everytime, but this topic never goes away. Keep people playing and they will adapt.

Suave

Post by Suave » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:32 am

p1.. Permaverse 1... think the name alone will make it stay....

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:56 am

these answers are biased... theres no answer that says "out with the old, no more new"

Major

Post by Major » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:21 am

Suave wrote:
p1.. Permaverse 1... think the name alone will make it stay....
I don't play there unless I have to, but I sure hope you are right.

#PoopieBritchesLovesYou

DavidGG

Post by DavidGG » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Im using 11th to practice a few things and is a completely die server.

Not even the moth ranks list is full....not even 100 players ....with cols there....
Kill it.

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:40 am

P1 is the longest thread of history we have left, that and boundless, neither will get deleted imo

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Keep P1, Boundless, Golden Age and Frontier Wars. Keep the rebangs and Blitz. Get rid of the rest.

The rest are pretty much dead, do what has been done to compensate the remaining players with Cups and Tokens, see where everyone ends up and make a decision in a month if we need a new server.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:24 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:Keep P1, Boundless, Golden Age and Frontier Wars. Keep the rebangs and Blitz. Get rid of the rest.

The rest are pretty much dead, do what has been done to compensate the remaining players with Cups and Tokens, see where everyone ends up and make a decision in a month if we need a new server.
do this toonces

TheUnknown

Post by TheUnknown » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:34 am

How about a yearly reset of exp on permas? Keep everything but reset the exp, award if you must, and allow the new comer to have hope that they can one day reach the top as long as they keep on building/capping.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:06 am

TheUnknown wrote:How about a yearly reset of exp on permas? Keep everything but reset the exp, award if you must, and allow the new comer to have hope that they can one day reach the top as long as they keep on building/capping.
kinda like a big bang? dunno how thtd work well

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:09 am

TheUnknown wrote:How about a yearly reset of exp on permas? Keep everything but reset the exp, award if you must, and allow the new comer to have hope that they can one day reach the top as long as they keep on building/capping.
The problem isnt exp, its a divided player base.

TheUnknown

Post by TheUnknown » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:03 am

Mr Cow wrote:
kinda like a big bang? dunno how thtd work well
Kind of but current players keep whatever they already have so not really a total restart.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:28 am

:o then players that owned the server would not only own it, but get tons of cups

TheUnknown

Post by TheUnknown » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:37 am

Mr Cow wrote::o then players that owned the server would not only own it, but get tons of cups

10 cups over 10 years? Tons? Know anybody that has played that long? Know anybody willing to put that time in year in and year out?

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:04 am

TheUnknown wrote:
Mr Cow wrote::o then players that owned the server would not only own it, but get tons of cups

10 cups over 10 years? Tons? Know anybody that has played that long? Know anybody willing to put that time in year in and year out?
This game isn't 10 years old dumbass...

TheUnknown

Post by TheUnknown » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:14 am

P-i-m-p wrote:
TheUnknown wrote:

This game isn't 10 years old dumbass...
Just making a point clueless or did you miss it? Think about it for a moment and it just might dawn upon you. (As you can tell I'm an optimist and rooting for you but I have this feeling you willl let us all down and fail because of your quickness to start name calling, but good luck to you anyways.)

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Both poll options are undesirable...

Letting old, dead, servers stick around: bad

Deleting old, dead servers in order to replace them with new servers which will in turn become old, dead servers: bad

Solution: delete old, dead servers, concentrate the player base, then add new servers AS THE PLAYER BASE EXPANDS, and ONLY when there are so many players that additional servers are need to hold them.

At the end of the day, the number of people who play this game isn't going up. Idk exactly how many servers are still running in SGE. Let's just say 25. Say 25 servers and 100 active players (the specific numbers don't matter, just what I will show about them..) If you have 25 servers and 100 players, and you delete 1 server, and replace it with another one... surprise.. you have 25 servers and 100 players! You have the same undesirable ratio of players per server as you did before!

Point: Given the current state of SGE, unless the settings of a new server which replaces a dead one will BRING players to the game, it doesn't matter whether the existing player base likes it or not, because if it becomes more active than the server it replaced, other servers will die because their players went to the new server...

example:

sge player: Damn, server y is getting dead. We should rebang it so more people will play there!

one month later

sge player: Holy BBQ, after the new server, y, banged, server X died! Let's rebang server X as something new so people will player there!

one month later

sge player: Omg, after the new server, X, banged, server y died! Let's rebang server y as something new so people will play there!

and on and on and on and on

and on.

I'm sorry, but this sort of thinking is what got SGE stuck in this rut in the first place: banging a new server every other month just to reap in the initial token profits... (DMJ, RoP, Herc, 11th... basically every new server besides GA and FW [Which are both dying btw. no one even has 1 mil followers on fw after how many months?] are dead or stagnant now; most were never active past their first couple months)

Guess it's time to rebang them! :shock: Whoopee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

p.s.: the only server 'idea' which will actually cause players to come back would be an original sge server. Meaning the original code would be needed. No patches past like 2008. Not a server with all the present day patches and mods to cover up the shifted stats (GA), which while decent compared to the decaying mod servers, still hasn't caused many people to come back, and even less to stay. If the code is lost (which toonces has indicated it is, shame) then there's nothing that can be done about it. Have the ship stats in starpedia been changed since 2007? could Toonces maybe use them as a basis for creating the server?

Major

Post by Major » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 pm

I would donate real money, not tokens, to Toonces for his time to re-code the original SGE code and implement as a new "Classic server".

Suave

Post by Suave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Well Sbaer, about the parts regarding FW and GA... I would say that FW is actually getting alot more active nowadays, even averaging 17+ players( crap comparing to years ago) but for the current age of SGE is quite a lot. As for followers, FW has it its fair amount of 1m+ followers players.. just that the FOW map style keeps you in check for awhile.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:02 pm

There is 1 problem with deleting servers that I have just recently realized. The problem addresses new players, how are they to compete with an extremely dense society? New players barely come to stay on SGE anymore, I expect none of them will if we squeeze all of the competitive players together into 1 giant mass of good players.