Saving PVT Starport

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Destinybound

Saving PVT Starport

Post by Destinybound » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:39 am

Starport is a great game. Remember, this game is still in Beta-Testing mode. I think that advertising on websites such as Facebook and YouTube is a great idea, but, when competing with games like EVE I believe there should be some drastic changes to game play. First,I apologize for some previous posts I made here on the Forums. I was childish and immature. Secondly, I think that Toonces definitely needs a staff; a group of dedicated coders and admins that can be on the job whenever he can't, because we all know that Toonces managing this game by himself is not an easy task. Next, embracing changes to the game, because it IS still in Beta. Also, I think embracing the new technology that is out there now is a good thing. The overall game play hasn't changed much since when I started playing in 2007. Shrugging off that 2-D space game, and moving into a 3-D world is one of said "drastic changes". Another would be the difficulty of building sufficient colonies. How many times have you found a prime location for a colony, domed it and spent hours working to build it, just to have it invaded the day UN protection wore off? It's happened to me too many times, where even though I wanted to build, I had to resort to invading instead. Which brings me to my next point, the skill of invading has shrunk from slim to no skill required. Alright, I'll give you there are those 20/240 rockies that get me every time, but even those can be easily taken with a determined player (and hundreds of nukes nearby :wink: ) The building process needs to be polished for sure. Next, in-space P v P battles are now non-existent. I miss the days where you could log onto any server you wanted and in the first 5 minutes of playing be engulfed in a war. Now "war" means one Corporation with all the resources wipes out the smaller. Hopefully this wall of text gets some feedback from the community, and if not, you can't say I didn't try.

Thank you.

DB

JuliusCaesar

Re: Saving PVT Starport

Post by JuliusCaesar » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:03 am

judging from the implications of some of your topics and ideas, you clearly havent been around long enough to judge what is realistic.

play the game more, then make game-changing-suggestions.

Destinybound

Post by Destinybound » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:17 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:judging from the implications of some of your topics and ideas, you clearly havent been around long enough to judge what is realistic.

play the game more, then make game-changing-suggestions.
I've played the game for four years, and my last post was 2 years ago, and I denounced all my other posts on this topic. If January 2007 to now isn't a long enough time frame to understand what is going on in the game, than I don't know how long is.
Cloud1 wrote:This game does need some changes. Right now it's just Trial and error.

How many times have you found a prime location for a colony, domed it and spent hours working to build it, just to have it invaded the day UN protection wore off?

You have to properly defend the colony, and place the dome correctly. Finding a good spot away from sol, and into an arm will help you keep the colony longer.
By "prime location" I meant far enough away from Sol and other starbases that hopefully you would have enough time to go to these bases to defend it. If you are too far away, getting resources becomes a challenge, and so does getting defenses. I'm talking about starting on a server as a builder. No money to rush the WF right when you get the ref where you want it. You have to wait days for construction to finish the job. Dome placement is not an real issue, because most people can have SOME common sense when it comes to dome placement.

Destinybound

Post by Destinybound » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Ok... this post wasn't meant to be solely on colony building.

Chet

Post by Chet » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:15 am

Destinybound wrote: Shrugging off that 2-D space game, and moving into a 3-D world is one of said "drastic changes".
I think if that where to happen a new client should be made which left 2-3 permas and 2-3 rebangs on one client which would be Classic Starport not being patched to match a newer 3-d Bo BBQ that your suggesting
--Then a new Client Implementing a BBQ load of new changes to graphics, game-play, and overall tits of the game
Which is what runescape did, from the transition from Runescape Classic to Runescape 2( I really dont care what you guys think this is a successful game).. It still left the option to play the old game while the new game is constantly changed so that people who have been playing the game since the start don't cry

Lookingglass

Post by Lookingglass » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:03 am

Chet wrote: from the transition from Runescape Classic to Runescape 2( I really dont care what you guys think this is a successful game).. It still left the option to play the old game while the new game is constantly changed so that people who have been playing the game since the start don't cry
They also did this with MInecraft. There is a seperate "Client" Which is web browser based where you can play the origional Minecraft Classic. Then there is the New Updating Client for Minecraft Survival and soon to be Minecraft Survival Adventure.

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:42 pm

the day an isc caught in space by an igs no longer had any real hope of survival unless they get to a port really fast because of the nuke changes, is the day this game stopped being fun to play.

nobody enjoys PvP anymore. whens the last time anyone has ever heard or seen a 1v1 happen? they used to be incredibly common and now i havent seen a single one happen in a year. all thats left to do is invade/build/clean which is no longer enjoyable on its own for me.

thats why i havent really played for about 3 months now.

Pretty much everyone agrees modules are the root cause of most of the problems, and now that we have increased solar ore consumption now is the perfect time to get rid of them. I think we could save cargo modules just to give builders a boost.