Perma Closings

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Toonces
Site Admin

Perma Closings

Post by Toonces » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 am

Turns out my formula to tell me which servers were selling more tokens was wrong. Dark Matter Jungle actually is significantly more dead than Classic Homeworlds.

Classics is not generating much though. So we might have to close both. The people playing in Classic just aren't participating in the Admiral Token aspect of the game. If you get enjoyment out of this galaxy, why not participate in the free trade that is business and give some back to the community and those who work to provide it. You have multiple payment options including paypal, credit or debit card, or trading with someone who has those options. Even if none of those works for you but you still want to buy some tokens, email me and maybe we can figure something out.

vodkashot

Re: Perma Closings

Post by vodkashot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:30 am

Well at least dont close classic till luna gets that 1 bill exp Probably wont happen on a server again.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Aw I had just started on classics.....oh well more ppl on p5 to buy cyberneticus' infinite supply of tokens. Right toonce? :D

zanth

Post by zanth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Toonces wrote:Turns out my formula to tell me which servers were selling more tokens was wrong. Dark Matter Jungle actually is significantly more dead than Classic Homeworlds.

Classics is not generating much though. So we might have to close both. The people playing in Classic just aren't participating in the Admiral Token aspect of the game. If you get enjoyment out of this galaxy, why not participate in the free trade that is business and give some back to the community and those who work to provide it. You have multiple payment options including paypal, credit or debit card, or trading with someone who has those options. Even if none of those works for you but you still want to buy some tokens, email me and maybe we can figure something out.
well this all happened because you updated the game instead of just leaving everything the same. You would have had twice as many players twice as much revenue for half the work but instead of leaving a good game alone. You decided we need some useless updates that piss people off and now this is where it landed you.

If you close classic i would like my tokens to be transferred to a different server with out that stupid tourny point decrease there thanks.

If you wana save starport update back in time to when lasers first came out.

MK2

Post by MK2 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 pm

nice to see another years work rebuilding my stuff since i lost it from p2 but once again i feel robed but then not meny ppl listen to me im just a noob but whatever i nearly quit after p2 then i went to classics i dont like the fact that i have wasted the last year or so of time the game seams more and more pointless if we are going to build up our stuff only to have to gone in a week you want us to buy tokens but why should we when we just waste cash and time on a server and its gone a week later

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Well, I feel bad for people who've worked hard for followers on classics but what toonces says makes sense. I'm just glad I quit there when I did. Maybe toonces should set a date for when the perma closes so people have a chance to get up in the rankings or something.

NightgraderP6

Post by NightgraderP6 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:36 pm

For those of you who blame Toonces for the closings, STOP IT. The closing were started at the request of the players, due to a lack of competition. Unlike some perma closings the closing of P6 was on a voluntary basis. I had talked to other players on that server and as a whole it was decided that it would be best for it to close on a voluntary basis. If you are upset about the closings then do something about it. Such as recruite new players for your perma. Or talk to the other players, whom most will play on more than one server, and find a common server that all can agree to close. This does not mean putting a post up for a vote. Cause anyone can vote for a server they don't play on, and it has already happened once. This is a "community" of players. Start acting like it and not just a "I" player. "I" think a lot of things should happen, but would it be fair to the "Community" as a whole.

PS "I" still think only 3 mods should be allowed. and not all the same. Thus old ship stats and 1v1 could return.

Nightgrader

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm just saying right now you close classics there will be soooooo many people pissed... Luna hitting one bill isn't just for her or thorin its for everyone its a epic thing to see and a once in a game time to see...

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Toonces wrote:Turns out my formula to tell me which servers were selling more tokens was wrong. Dark Matter Jungle actually is significantly more dead than Classic Homeworlds.

so people are supposed to pay to play? :wink:

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:21 pm

awesomepebble wrote:

No, not at all. There is many other servers to choose from! However, if you're playing on an old server that doesn't have many people playing it I would suggest donating to it if you'd like to keep it alive. On a side note, I think at least one server that doesn't have the new layouts should remain as a place for newbs to learn the basics of invading before being thrown in against fingers, pacmans, marathons, and so on.

Also to comment on what MK2 said earlier in post, I do agree that tokens on a server to be deleted should be able to be transferred without having to convert them, but I guess it depends on how much trouble that would cause Toonces. That would be a nice gesture by PTT though. Good luck classic homeworlders; get out those credit cards!

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:31 pm

breakdown wrote:
awesomepebble wrote:

No, not at all. There is many other servers to choose from! However, if you're playing on an old server that doesn't have many people playing it I would suggest donating to it if you'd like to keep it alive. On a side note, I think at least one server that doesn't have the new layouts should remain as a place for newbs to learn the basics of invading before being thrown in against fingers, pacmans, marathons, and so on.

Also to comment on what MK2 said earlier in post, I do agree that tokens on a server to be deleted should be able to be transferred without having to convert them, but I guess it depends on how much trouble that would cause Toonces. That would be a nice gesture by PTT though. Good luck classic homeworlders; get out those credit cards!
Already transfered my tokens :P

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:37 pm

i agree tht 1 server with old layouts should stay open

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Maybe toonces should make a formula... like.. .. if someone buys OR simply spends 10k tokens it extends the perma for a week.. and if nobody buys tokens and time runs out the perma eventually closes? I mean for every perma.
Last edited by BarbaraWalters on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:59 pm

good idea! :D

salligator

Post by salligator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Ah, the wonders of extortion and bribery!

FortyTwoAxes

Post by FortyTwoAxes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Toonces wrote:

Classics is not generating much though. So we might have to close both. The people playing in Classic just aren't participating in the Admiral Token aspect of the game. If you get enjoyment out of this galaxy, why not participate in the free trade that is business and give some back to the community and those who work to provide it. You have multiple payment options including paypal, credit or debit card, or trading with someone who has those options. Even if none of those works for you but you still want to buy some tokens, contact me and maybe we can figure something out.
:0 is toonces quoting him self to increase his post count ? or am i quoting him to increase mine :D
Last edited by FortyTwoAxes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.

DrunkenDoughnut

Post by DrunkenDoughnut » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Wow roflmao, I have conformation from Ken. on classics that toonces said during the last set of permas kills and I quote "I will not be shutting down Classics Homeworlds, The Permaverse or any of the newer permas." First toonces stops listening to the community, stopped even looking in engineering or research lab most of the time and starts adding in BBQ that PEOPLE DIDNT LIKE, THEN he closes permas apperently thinking that that would cluster more people into servers when in fact he should have known it would DECREASE THE TOTAL SERVER POPULATION THEREBY DECREASING TOKEN SALES, But now hes lieing to the community? Whats next toonces, close down the forums and do whatever the hug you feel like doing until every last person that plays this game is no longer here?

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Wow.. some change huh? I know almost everyone that has posted on this topic remembers about 2 years ago, when half the topics (so it seemed anyways) in the tavern were about server stagnation, closing the permas, etc. We asked for this, and im sorry if someone loses their hard work, because it most certainly does suck.. but look at several of the servers. Sure, TOR is not doing near as well as other permas when they started, but it seems to me that other permas are more active now, at least a little. I play hercules cluster, and we see around 10-15 people at its high point most days.. which is at least semi active for the current player base. But if toonces decides, HC isnt doing well enough and needs to close, so be it. Since the first perma closed, everyone here knows that there is a chance their perma will delete given enough time.

I think closing DMJ is a good idea.
Classics should at least wait til Luna hits 1 billion exp, because that is a landmark achievement that Luna, Thorin, and many other people worked very hard for, and we probably won't see it happen again

Of course, I could be completely wrong here, but hey, that's what the forums are for right? :wink:

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 pm

These "donations" are looking less and less like donations, and more like fees to keep PERMAS permanant. That is fine, but then they shouldn't be called donations... my 2cents

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 pm

So far everyone ive seen agrees DON'T CLOSE CLASSICS TILL LUNA HITS 1B(i saw that in caps because you don't read 90% of wat ppl type so i figure u might read it now. good idea?)

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Luna gets 1b exp before you close. said done overwith.

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm

/idea

formulate how long it will take for Luna to get 1 billion (unless you've used a square root formula or something of that nature to prevent it from happening, getting ever closer but slowing down so she will never reach it (mean)) and put that time as the countdown. Would be cool to see the change in time if you say donate a colony or cap a colony from her. Either way, make the 1 billion goal into a countdown.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:22 pm

MutedJazz wrote:/idea

formulate how long it will take for Luna to get 1 billion (unless you've used a square root formula or something of that nature to prevent it from happening, getting ever closer but slowing down so she will never reach it (mean)) and put that time as the countdown. Would be cool to see the change in time if you say donate a colony or cap a colony from her. Either way, make the 1 billion goal into a countdown.
/agreed.

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Mel'Kaven wrote:

/agreed.
Of course, that is if you HAVE to close it.

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:00 pm

we alrdy know how long about 6.3months figuring no one invades her

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 pm

if you close classics I want to be reimbursed my 160mil exp I had there for I lost it by not having my password to my account and logged in like a day or 2 after I deleted :(

Destructo

Post by Destructo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:59 pm

gothicorpunk wrote:

you didn't account for the xp curve

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Destructo wrote:
gothicorpunk wrote:

you didn't account for the xp curve
actually i think he did, because Luna is at 930mil or so right now, haven't looked lately so i'm sure thats pretty accurate.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Why not thorin leaves her corp and everyone give her all followers =P on server, 2 records broken at once

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Mel'Kaven wrote:Luna gets 1b exp before you close. said done overwith.
you see the problem with this is the experience curve, either everyone with any kind of xp gets on and dies by lunas photon torpedoes or we wait for months as she slowly gains fractions of the exp she should be.