I quit

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Caia

I quit

Post by Caia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:31 am

No, you can't have all my stuff.

For better or worse, this isn't the game that it used to be. While I generally applaud additions to the game, it seems the last 6 months or so has been just terrible for game balance. There are still glitches in the game from years ago. Inflation is running as high as ever. And the super corps just tend to NAP up and dominate any given server.

I hope this stuff gets fixed, but I have serious doubts it'll be fixed anytime soon, if ever. So, I'm out for now. Should things change, I'll be back.

PS I'm sleeping on my planet on HC. If you find me, it'll be worth about 1.25 million exp. 8)

MastrIan

Re: I quit

Post by MastrIan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:33 am

Who is going to be keeping the peace with nukes now?!

Will miss you caia, don't be a stranger to the forums. /salute

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:23 am

Caia wrote:No, you can't have all my stuff.

For better or worse, this isn't the game that it used to be. While I generally applaud additions to the game, it seems the last 6 months or so has been just terrible for game balance. There are still glitches in the game from years ago. Inflation is running as high as ever. And the super corps just tend to NAP up and dominate any given server.

I hope this stuff gets fixed, but I have serious doubts it'll be fixed anytime soon, if ever. So, I'm out for now. Should things change, I'll be back.

PS I'm sleeping on my planet on HC. If you find me, it'll be worth about 1.25 million exp. 8)
Take it easy bro, I will remain here and try to guide Toonces back to the light, in hope that he fixes the game. :P

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:18 pm

See ya when toonces finally caves and brings back the old days.

chronas

Post by chronas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:49 pm

I agree 100% with what you think. This use to be a nice game. I will also quit as will many others. This use to be a nice game for most. To many changes have been made along with so many glitches. Who ever does the programming certainly is not very good at it. Taking away mining and other features of the game in permas was certainly a bad choice. Deleting or restarting Permas was another bad decision. Most of us joined because they said that they would never end. I can see now that anything written is ever going to last. I spend years building then to have everything taken away. Most of us have jobs and real lives to live. Adding or changing things so much became very hectic. Asteroids that made moving around take much longer just cut into our family lives. I hope one day that this game will evolve, but I see right now it wont. Not until Toonces figures out what people really want and need in this game. I dont think that will happen because 90% seems to be what he wants and how much he can make. Toonces you have the right to do that. But having the right and knowing what people really want is totally different. Look around and quit thinking of yourself. This is a game and its suppose to be fun. Make it fun and keep your word. Then you might get some respect.

chronas

I quit

Post by chronas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:52 pm

I agree 100% with what most think. This use to be a nice game. I will also quit as will many others. This use to be a nice game for most. To many changes have been made along with so many glitches. Who ever does the programming certainly is not very good at it. Taking away mining and other features of the game in permas was certainly a bad choice. Deleting or restarting Permas was another bad decision. Most of us joined because they said that they would never end. I can see now that anything written is ever going to last. I spend years building then to have everything taken away. Most of us have jobs and real lives to live. Adding or changing things so much became very hectic. Asteroids that made moving around take much longer just cut into our family lives. I hope one day that this game will evolve, but I see right now it wont. Not until Toonces figures out what people really want and need in this game. I dont think that will happen because 90% seems to be what he wants and how much he can make. Toonces you have the right to do that. But having the right and knowing what people really want is totally different. Look around and quit thinking of yourself. This is a game and its suppose to be fun. Make it fun and keep your word. Then you might get some respect.

FortyTwoAxes

Post by FortyTwoAxes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Bye bye chronas :cry:
i guess ull be missed by the few people that played along side you in perma pax
but some thing good cant last forever and indeed it was a waste of your time my time and every
one elses time like Bulet and others that built up a empire and then watch it all go

Peave have fun in life

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:52 pm

see you in a week.

Wagon

I quit

Post by Wagon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:33 am

my post got moved to make it look like sge wasnt dying
Last edited by Wagon on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 am

Lol..

FortyTwoAxes

Post by FortyTwoAxes » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:35 am

:cry: stop it i want to quit now

FortyTwoAxes

Post by FortyTwoAxes » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:36 am

fredfredburger wrote:see you in a week.
lol you wanna put a bet on that :mrgreen:

FoggDawg

Post by FoggDawg » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:00 pm

Dave34 wrote:It's not the same starport when I was a newbie thats for sure.
Tru enough dave i just started to play again and wow cant even out run a nuke wtf is that ? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Major

Post by Major » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:46 am

Cya, bummer your out.

You are a grade A smartass, hope you stick around on the forums.

/salute

Chicboy

Post by Chicboy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Caia wrote: For better or worse, this isn't the game that it used to be. While I generally applaud additions to the game, it seems the last 6 months or so has been just terrible for game balance. There are still glitches in the game from years ago.

I hope this stuff gets fixed, but I have serious doubts it'll be fixed anytime soon, if ever. Should things change, I'll be back.
Reason I lurk in the background but a word of wisdom. You will replace your SGE time with another game. Good thing is that your new game will most def not be as time consuming/addictive (w/e you wanna call it)

Caia

Post by Caia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:04 am

Major wrote:Cya, bummer your out.

You are a grade A smartass, hope you stick around on the forums.

/salute
Not A+? I'm hurt.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Caia wrote:it seems the last 6 months or so has been just terrible for game balance.
No it hasn't, you're just burnt out. Happens to everyone. Glad to hear you're taking a break.
Caia wrote:There are still glitches in the game from years ago.
Like what?
Caia wrote:Inflation is running as high as ever.
You're saying credits are too easy to come by? Would this be fixed by either higher prices for something and/or less tax revenue on colonies?
Caia wrote:And the super corps just tend to NAP up and dominate any given server.
They do that in real life too. And in lots of mmo games. Do you have a proposal to address this or is this just bitching for the sake of bitching?
Caia wrote:I hope this stuff gets fixed
Hope so too. If only i knew what it was! :roll:
Caia wrote:PS I'm sleeping on my planet on HC. If you find me, it'll be worth about 1.25 million exp. 8)
On my way with the admin command /whereplayer

VanadiumDragon

Post by VanadiumDragon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:50 pm

my biggest (personal) problem with the game is that not enough people are playing on servers. before permas there were like 30+ people playing a rebang. back then there was more of a multiplayer aspect. now the only place you get ANY kind of multiplayer game is on the newest perma. and even that doesn't last very long. the game itself is frikin awesome. i like all the changes except for there being too many servers still (in my opinion).

the game was most fun when you were with your corp hunting down players with high exp. so you could actually WIN the game. even on the extended 3 month servers only 5 or 6 people are active at any given time.

like i said i still love the game but there just aren't enough people on any given server.

For The Win:

1 perma
4 rebang servers
1 extended rebang

you guys will never truly understand the original concept of the game till you play a rebang with 20 people on it at any given time

TT

Post by TT » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:34 pm

VanadiumDragon wrote:my biggest (personal) problem with the game is that not enough people are playing on servers. before permas there were like 30+ people playing a rebang. back then there was more of a multiplayer aspect. now the only place you get ANY kind of multiplayer game is on the newest perma. and even that doesn't last very long. the game itself is frikin awesome. i like all the changes except for there being too many servers still (in my opinion).

the game was most fun when you were with your corp hunting down players with high exp. so you could actually WIN the game. even on the extended 3 month servers only 5 or 6 people are active at any given time.

like i said i still love the game but there just aren't enough people on any given server.

For The Win:

1 perma
4 rebang servers
1 extended rebang

you guys will never truly understand the original concept of the game till you play a rebang with 20 people on it at any given time

This

Mathius

Post by Mathius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:02 am

i agree with vd about having people in the game the most crucial element along with having a rocking game of course.

to get the numbers to make all the servers pumping with people would require some pretty special marketing which may take a few years to come to fruition.

i have stopped playing rebangs due to lack of competition, you can start with 7 days to go and still win solo on a lot of bangs and thats not really that fun after a while.

I have no idea of how tough the coding may be, prob very tough. so i kinda just grin and bear it with glitches like the terminator turrets and non trade happenings.

So thanks for continued effort on the game most of us play for free. Apologies toonces for not getting the suggested noob coaching program up and going. rl issues dominated and to be honest was having more fun playing the game.

I

Destructo

Post by Destructo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Mathius wrote:i agree with vd about having people in the game the most crucial element along with having a rocking game of course.

to get the numbers to make all the servers pumping with people would require some pretty special marketing which may take a few years to come to fruition.

i have stopped playing rebangs due to lack of competition, you can start with 7 days to go and still win solo on a lot of bangs and thats not really that fun after a while.

I have no idea of how tough the coding may be, prob very tough. so i kinda just grin and bear it with glitches like the terminator turrets and non trade happenings.

So thanks for continued effort on the game most of us play for free. Apologies toonces for not getting the suggested noob coaching program up and going. rl issues dominated and to be honest was having more fun playing the game.

I
Not if I am on it you won't

Destructo

Post by Destructo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Caia wrote: Inflation is running as high as ever.
if it truly is, then why is the price for tokens per k so low on OR
Caia wrote: And the super corps just tend to NAP up and dominate any given server.
When has this been any different from any other time.?

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Toonces wrote:
Caia wrote:it seems the last 6 months or so has been just terrible for game balance.
No it hasn't, you're just burnt out. Happens to everyone. Glad to hear you're taking a break.
Like what?
You're saying credits are too easy to come by? Would this be fixed by either higher prices for something and/or less tax revenue on colonies?
Caia wrote:And the super corps just tend to NAP up and dominate any given server.
They do that in real life too. And in lots of mmo games. Do you have a proposal to address this or is this just bitching for the sake of bitching?
Caia wrote:PS I'm sleeping on my planet on HC. If you find me, it'll be worth about 1.25 million exp. 8)
Trading broke,
holdings broke,
new patch makes our credits look like the yen
switch servers and d/c from game 50% time
just noticed on blitz that spectate mode gave me -10 points and i never was doing anything but spectate the WHOLE time
Permas deleting to increase activity on servers, but then new servers are banged? kinda counter productive?
random d/c for no reason
random spikes in ping
Viper1 has a glitch on one server only that after the first chat he does.. it freezes on him and he d/c.. cant play that server at all...

These are the things that are broken.... and I believe that most of them are posted in forums

NightstarRage

Post by NightstarRage » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Bug 1: When trading a colony, under any circumstance, 75% of the time, it will just accept or not trade.
Bug 2: Some lasers or flaks are indestructible..
Bug 3: Some colonies boot you endlessly when you cap, and after like 20 caps, you can cap it.
Bug 4: Windows still overlap..
Bug 5: If you hold the bar at the top of windowed mode, your screen freezes, and it appears as if you are shifting through walls on a colony to another player, therefore distracting the solar without losing any shields

All I can think of..

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Toonces wrote:
Like what?
:lol: you just made my day lol

DrunkenDoughnut

Post by DrunkenDoughnut » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:24 pm

Like what?

DrunkenDoughnut: Oh I don't know Nuke Glitch, Cap Glitch theres 2 for ya.

Caia

Post by Caia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:18 am

Toonces wrote:
Like what?
1.) Yeah it has. Giving all ships access to surface missiles just about completely breaks the idea of owning space. Anyone with enough time on their hands and enough skill can take any planet. The who ideas of having to work your way into enemy lines is gone. That's hugely game changing. Planets can't be defended anymore.

Now, you can counter that players have always been able to do this with torps, and to a degree you'd be correct. However, only the top 10% of invaders could take any given planet using only torps. Now, with a little practice, anyone can take any planet.

2.) The cap glitch. Lag is another, though I'm not entirely sure that could be deemed a glitch. And the new glitch that I can't use the patcher to download new patches (since 592 or so (and yes, I put a bug report in and got no response)).

3.) Inflation will run high as long as there is more money being made than being destroyed. Economics 101. So, either more people need to be "made" to spend money (increase prices) or less money needs to be created (less tax revenue). I gave an idea sometime back in the Research Lab outlining a series of new and very expensive toys. Vet players always love to have more toys and have the cash to drop 10, 20, 30 million at a time. It may need some balancing, but I think the idea is sound. In doing this, the prices on normal things (ships, weapons, mods, shields) don't need to be raised AND you can keep tax revenue what it is currently at. Granted, this will require a lot more programming than the other methods, but it would be the most worthwhile.

And, no, dynamic pricing doesn't work well with so few active people playing on servers. Its NOT a bad idea. Its just impossible to do correctly when the population is so small. To give you an idea, you need several thousand people to have a stand alone free market in *most* games. Now, you can fake a free market reasonably well with as few as a hundred. But 20-40 active players doesn't work. Again, this is a fine idea, Starport just isn't ready for it.

4.) Yeah, as I've said time and time again: We need some sort of end game to keep vets busy. I've lost count of how many times I've made this statement. During the "golden age" of the game (a few months into P1), there were 4 (or more?) major corps all at war with one another. This left relative newbies, like myself, generally free to build and wage much smaller newbie wars.

And no, most other PvP games do NOT have this problem. The vets are all kept busy with end game content. Sure, you get the occasional griefer in WoW sitting in Duskwood slaying newbs as the fly in. But it lasts maybe an hour before they get bored. If that. Or look at Evony. The top guilds are all at war with one another. We never had time to worry abut smaller guilds (unless they attacked us for some God unknown reason). EvE online has pretty much open PvP everywhere in the game. All the top corps are fighting over space on the frontiers, not worried about war deccing newb corps. I don't know where you're getting the idea that other MMOs suffer from this. I've certain not seen much of it, and certainly not to the extent in this game. And I've played just about every major (and some not so major) MMO released in the past 5 years or so.

Is this fixable? YES! Give vets end content. Give them something to do OTHER than raid newbie corps. Vets will love having something new to do. Newbies will love being left alone to become vets. Its win-win, Toonces. More players playing means more tokens for you.

Is it going to happen? You know I've mentioned this a number of times and you seem to think I'm just bitching. I fully expect this will be ignored again. Sorry if that's too blunt, but I find it vexing that these ideas come as a surprise. They've been mentioned before.

5.) Check Engineering? Here's the link: viewforum.php?f=4

how about this? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18220
or this? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18633
or even this? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18637

You have a whole section of the forums dedicated to bugs! Why are you asking me? Go look!

6.) Make sure you bring nukes (or surface missiles). Its well defended.

Toonces, I think you have what could be a good game here.

Step 1) Get rid of the top 3 most annoying glitches.
Step 2) Begin adding end game content for vets.
Step 3) Add expensive toys to deal with inflation.
Step 4) Make building less of a click-fest (many posts about how to do that in the Research Lab(allowing planets within the same system to share resources would be a VAST improvement -- even make fuel part of the cost for shipping resources within the system).

That's where I'd start.
Destructo wrote:
Caia wrote: Inflation is running as high as ever.
if it truly is, then why is the price for tokens per k so low on OR
Caia wrote: And the super corps just tend to NAP up and dominate any given server.
When has this been any different from any other time.?
1.) Because its a new server. Give it a month or two. Same issue will occur. They always do.

2.) *Looks at join date* Ah, I see the issue.